Books You Should Be Reading This Pride Month (And Every Other Month Too)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

This Is How You Lose The Time War by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone

One of our very own uOttawa professors (Amal El-Mohtar) writes a love story of two women who are on opposite sides of a war and fall in love with each other through letters, despite the danger that their relationship puts them in.

4 Stars on Goodreads!

Red, White, And Royal Blue by Casey Mcquinston

What happens when the son of the President of the United States and the Prince of England go from enemies to lovers? Mcquinston writes a great LGBT+ love story based on one of the best tropes in romance. If you like this read, check out her latest novel called One Last Stop, which is based off of a meet-cute between two girls on a train.

4.2 Stars on Goodreads!

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

Burroughs takes readers through his life in Running with Scissors. We see him growing up with a mentally ill mother and alcoholic father, exploring the challenges of getting older and finding himself questioning his sexuality – all while battling the fear of inheriting his father’s addiction.

3.75 Stars on Goodreads!

my hand holding the book Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs
Original photo by Madeline Snider
Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

Jonny Appleseed by Joshua Whitehead

A beautifully written coming of age story of a young two spirit Indigenous person who finds himself living in “the big city” and becoming a sex worker. This novel is nominated for several book awards, and we bet you’ll love it just as much as the critics.

4.2 Stars on Goodreads!

Chance to Dance for You by Gail Sidonie Sobat

The main character in this story, a teenage boy, is bullied in high school because of his sexuality, but he doesn’t let it get to him. High school doesn’t matter, especially not when he just knows he’s going to move on and become an amazing dancer after graduation. But soon everything changes, when he begins to fall in love with the popular quarterback. This is a story about young love and heartbreak – perfect for summer!

3.4 Stars on Goodreads!

Maddie is a fourth year student at the University of Ottawa majoring in History. She is a major fan of Friends, and The Office and is a geek for all things history. Maddie loves food, relaxing, and her cat.