This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

I can’t even count the number of times I’ve read a book and absolutely loved it, only to be immensely disappointed by the sequels. It’s a unique type of heartbreak—especially when favourite couples break up and characters act out of the norm. 

Fortunately, this isn’t always the case. There are lots of really great series that keep improving after the first book. I’m here to share these special cases with you.

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

The first book hooked me in because of its unique format—certain words or sentences are struck out, which is something I hadn’t seen in other books. The premise of the story is also intriguing: a girl whose touch inflicts pain onto others and as such is ostracized and isolated from society. And then a boy who is immune to her touch joins her in her cell? I think we all know where this is going. But the first book is not the only good book in this six-book series with multiple novellas; the series just keeps getting better with each instalment. New characters get introduced, the world grows, and relationships develop. Shatter Me is one of my all-time favourite series, and I recommend it if you’re looking for a completed series to binge.

Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

After reading the first book, I was ready to give up on this trilogy. I already owned the other two books, though, and one day, decided to just read the second book. I’m so glad I did! The second book in this trilogy was phenomenal, easily taking this from a three- to a five-star read. New characters are introduced and the world is further developed. This series follows Meira, a warrior-in-training who was orphaned when her kingdom was conquered as an infant. When she learns there’s an artifact that can help restore the kingdom’s magic, she sets out to find it. Along the way, she discovers secrets that change the whole trajectory of her life. 

Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco

This series is one of my favourites, even with all the emotional rollercoasters the author put me through. The first book, Stalking Jack the Ripper, had a unique idea and lovable characters but wasn’t my absolute favourite. It’s a good thing I decided to pick up the second book because that one turned out to be one of my all-time favourite reads! This series follows Audrey Rose and Thomas, forensic science students, as they solve a different mystery in each book while their own relationship progresses. Bonus points for having a beautifully wrapped-up ending to the series.

These are some of my favourite series that get better after the first book, saving you the disappointment of a lacklustre sequel to a phenomenal read. It takes a lot of time and dedication to read a multiple-book series, and it’s awful when the enjoyment of the series goes down with each book. These series managed to steer far away from that and resulted in binge-able books that captured many readers’ hearts over the years. 

Sally Adil

U Ottawa '25

Sally is a third year Biomedical Science student at uOttawa. When she's not studying, she's reading romcoms and watching k-dramas.