Black Model Becomes Target of Racism on Instagram

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

As New York Fashion Week 2016 came to an end, the comment section on Mac Cosmetics’ Instagram seemed to blow up. On February 17th, MAC Cosmetics shared a behind-the-scenes picture of a model’s lips, which became the target of endless insensitive and racist comments.

With over 32,000 comments, it was impossible to collect the initial comments that were made, but Buzzfeed was able to capture a few of them. Many of the negative comments used racial slurs and also compared black women and black features to that of white women and white features. However, it didn’t take long for a more positive wave of comments to appear in the comment section. Individuals were quick to show support to the model and to black features as a whole.

The model in question is Aamito Stacie Lagum, a 23-year-old model from Uganda. Lagum modeled in Ohne Titel’s show, which featured Mac Cosmetics makeup. Her response to the haters was nothing short of flawless. On her Instagram she shared the picture and captioned it: 

“My lips giving you sleepless nights. On @maccosmetics IG. Thankyou @maccosmetics for this killer color and to that makeup artist .ama get me 3 of these.”

She also followed up with another picture a couple days later encouraging women to post pictures of their lips:

“Take a pic of your #luscious-lips and hashtag #PrettyLipsPeriod #mylipsgotitsownhashtag :P #berryblue #Heartshapedlips @maccosmetics”

Our only response is to praise and supprt Aamito Stacie Lagum.

So much #BlackGirlMagic! Get it girl!

Research Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Picture Source: 1

Kaysey graduated from the University of Ottawa with a double major in English and Sociology and is currently studying Professional Writing and Communications at Humber College. She hails from the fabulous city of Toronto and can quote Disney like it's her job. Some of her favourite things to do are reading, writing, and aimlessly surfing the internet for inspiration. Follow her on Twitter or Instagram, @kaysey_dee,  or check out her blog: Portrait of a Fashionista