Beyond Your Kitchen: 5 Common Foods and Their Larger Implications

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It has become second nature for many students to go grocery shopping or to split an app with your friends between classes. It’s likely that you’ll share a few laughs, indulge in some food and compare the prices of the things you want to enjoy. It’s unlikely that you’ll give your food much more thought beyond eating it. Chances are you rarely pay attention to how your consumption of certain foods affects the world around you and others.

Now, I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve hopped on the bandwagon of various food trends, and I guarantee that you will catch me mindlessly stockpiling my cart at the grocery store every student discount day. However, this does not discredit the belief that people should be mindful of how their food affects more than just their figure. Whether you choose to pop into Market Organics or have made friends with the characters at Rideau St. McDonalds through your frequent visits, here are a few ways your diet is affecting more than just your digestive system:

It has become second nature for many students to
go grocery shopping,or to split an app
with your friends
between classes. It’s likely that you’ll sfew laughs, indulge in some food and compare the prices of
the things you want to enjoy. It’s unlikely that you’ll give your
food much more thought beyond
eating it.
Chances are you rarely
pay mind to how your consumption
of certain foods affects the wo
ld around you
and others.

Avocados

Avocados have become a staple food for many people in recent years. How could they not? They’re an amazing source of healthy fats, omega 3s, even potassium, and they’re totally delicious! Despite these amazing health benefits, one of the least known facts that should be addressed about these fruits is that the one you have ripening in your kitchen has likely seen the days of Knight Templar cartels in a region of Mexico called Michoacán. This group is notorious for extortion and burning down farmers’ crops should they protest their conditions. While this might make you apprehensive about your next avocado purchase, think twice before you boycott this superfood, since it is the farmers’ only source of livelihood. 

Quinoa

Much like avocados, quinoa is a superfood that has become an overnight hit. However, this gluten-free grain that packs a punch in the protein department has a darker side. The Guardian is quick to point out that the sudden demand of Western countries have driven Quinoa prices up so much in the major producing countries of Peru and Bolivia that their residents can no longer afford the nutritious grain and must instead turn to cheaper imported food that isn’t as healthy. 

Honey

This is less about honey, and more about the honeybees that produce it. GreenPeace is one of the many sources to point out that honeybees are responsible for more than 2/3 of human crops, which supply the majority of the world’s nutrition. However, the population of these bees are rapidly declining, therefore putting our crops at risk.

Beef

Chomping down on your favourite burger may have a larger impact than packing a punch in your protein intake. A study conducted by Scientific America found that meat production is responsible for 14-22% of global carbon emissions. More specially, the production of beef, from raising the livestock all the way to processing the meat means that simply including beef in your diet increases your food emission carbon footprint by almost 50%! 

Tuna

Tuna is one of the most common fish you will find at your local grocery stores. Whether fresh or canned it is a healthier alternative to achieving your protein intake than other meats, and it has a lot of omega 3 fatty acids. Tuna also contains one of the highest levels of mercury contamination among fish. This contamination can be directly linked to power plans and especially coal plants that release harmful byproducts into the ocean, that ultimately end up on your plate, as  found by the American National Resources Defence Council. On the bright side, the council has found that emissions have be going down drastically over the last 20 years, implying the success of various policy adjustments.

Picture References

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6