Best Skincare Products for YOU: Fall Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.
Don’t we all have different skin types? This is, indeed a fact, from one individual with oily skin to the next the same products may not work in the same manner. However, the only way to really find out which products work for you is to run them by trial and error. I know that my skin changes from oily to dry throughout the year and I am constantly trying new products until I find the right ones. Here is a quick summary of some products for your skin type.

DRY SKIN

For those with dry skin, you are either genetically dry-skinned or you strip the essential oils from your skin far too often. Sometimes, we wash our faces not knowing that an acidic face wash will react with your skin to remove the wrong oils. Steer clear of acidic face washes if you are in this skin type. Try gentle face washes like Olay’s “Gentle Foaming Face Wash” that is 100% soap free, 100% fragrance free, 100% dye free, 100% oil free, pH balanced as well as enriched with aloe. Another face wash that tends to work well for dry skin types is the Avène “Cleanance Gel Cleanser”, as it has no soap in its formula.

After a good face washing, it is important to apply moisturizer immediately. This is crucial as the moisture from the rinse is still within your skin and putting a layer of lotion on top will keep in the needed moisture. Lotions that work well for dry skin are Vaseline “Total Moisture Cocoa Radiant: that is a deep conditioning cream and Avon’s “Moisture Therapy Intensive Healing & Repair Cream”. The latter of the two is applied on extra dry skin and works charmingly.

NORMAL SKIN

If you place in this category of skin type, you are an awfully lucky human being. This means that your skin is never too dry or too oily making you an idol for the rest of us. You can use just about any face wash that you please, a fun one to try is the True Blue Spa “Green Tea Fizzy Foaming Face Mask”. It is a soft face wash that contains green tea extract that will leave your skin feeling fresh and rejuvenated. Because you are so free to try new products, LUSH has some fun face masks that you can try out. My personal favourites are the “Brazened Honey” with lime, ginger and ground almond and “Cupcake” with linseed, fresh mint and rhassoul mud. After any LUSH face mask, your skin will instantly feel cleaner and more stimulated. As for moisturizers, you are also free to choose as your heart desires. Popular lotions are those from Bath and Body Works that are often scented gracefully and “Coco Lotion” from LUSH is one enriched with nutty oils.

OILY SKIN

This is by far the toughest type of skin to deal with, in my opinion. You are constantly trying to look less greasy by applying matte powder, using blotting sheets or washing your face. It’s a hard routine to keep up with, especially when you are in the middle of a presentation, writing an exam or sitting in a 3 hour lecture. Here’s to you guys with oily skin! Wake up in the morning feeling like an oily mess? Well these two face washes should do the trick! Yes To Tomatoes “Clear Skin Oil Control Gel Cleanser” contains salicylic acid, tomato extract, bisabolol and ginger. Neutrogena’s “Deep Clean Shine-Free Cleanser” works to absorb the surface oil while removing dirt, oil and make up. These both leave your skin clear of oil for at least a couple of hours.

For those with blackheads and clogged pores, the above mentioned face washes are great however, there are ever more specific face washes for you! First off we have the Clean & Clear “Blackhead Eraser Scrub” that is oil free and works wonderfully to get rid of blackheads. Second, we have St. Ives “Apricot Scrub” which does wonders on the skin after a good rinsing.

As per usual, we will moisturize after a good face rinse. With oily skin, you need to be careful to use a light lotion like Vaseline’s “Total Moisture Aloe Fresh Lotion” that applies easy and absorbs into the skin rapidly. Try to stay away from creams and thick lotions that come in tubes, they tend to be rather saturated and will add to the oil on your face.

You can always carry around blotting sheets in your bag, if need be. Pop one out and blot away to temporarily take away the unwanted shine on your face. Baby powder also works to reduce shine on your face, so if you have a travel bottle lying around, then feel free to put it into your bag.

Best of luck to you and your skin. Hopefully these products work as well for you as they did for me!

*Disclaimer – this is not sponsored*

Links:1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

An environmental enthusiast with a passion for travel, organics and individual style! Blog - inspiringolivia.wordpress.com Instagram @inspiringolivia Twitter - inspiringolivia