samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Best Places to Study on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Exam time is upon us and this happens to be the time where everyone starts looking for the perfect study space.  I’ve dubbed myself the exam fairy godmother and compiled a list of possible study spaces on campus. I’ve taken into consideration things that can have an impact on choosing a place to study such as: the location, proximity to food, proximity to washrooms, windows, outlets, noise level and how long you’d like to study for.

1. Tabaret student lounge

• Location: This student lounge is relatively new and not many people know about it. It’s located on the first floor of Tabaret and includes ample seating space.
  • Sitting space: Lots of desks and some couches.
  • Proximity to food: You will need to leave the building to purchase lunch; however, Starbucks, Subway and Freshii are just across the street. There is a microwave available as well.
  • Outlets: There are outlets in this study space; however, because of the time of year make sure your laptop is fully charged just in case.
  • Windows: Each study room in the lounge has large windows so there is plenty of natural light.
  • Noise Level: Quiet
  • Access to washrooms: The washrooms in the building are extremely hard to find.
  • Should you study here? I would recommend for mid to long study sessions.

2. Desmarais Student Lounge

• Location: 3rd Floor Desmarais
  • Sitting space:  Mostly couches in the lounge and desks are located just outside the lounge.
  • Proximity to food:  There is a Starbucks on the first floor, and Freshii and Subway are just across the street. There is also a microwave available so you can bring your own lunch.
  • Outlets: Outlets are available, but they’re usually taken or far away from the desks.
  • Windows: Huge floor to ceiling windows facing Rideau Center, plenty of natural light and you can watch the traffic go by.
  • Noise level:  Moderate 
  • Access to Washroom: There is a washroom on every floor. Ladies, take note that the line for the washroom on the third floor is never long. Use the first floor washroom only if you want to celebrate your 90th birthday in line.
  • Should you study here?   7/10 would recommend for short study periods. It’s ideal if you’re a Telfer student and you don’t mind a little bit of noise. If you aren’t a Telfer student, I would like to warn you that Telfer students get territorial about their space.

3. Arts Building

• Sitting space: Limited with some chairs and desks.
  • Proximity to food: 6/10. There is a café on the 1st floor; however, they close earlier than most food places on campus. I have yet to see a microwave in this building so bring a lunch that you don’t have to warm up.
  • Outlets: 3/10 – almost none existent.
  • Windows: Regular sized windows with some natural light.
  • Noise level: Quiet
  • Access to Washroom: There is a washroom on every floor, but it feels a bit like playing Where’s Waldo?
  • Should you study here?  6/10 would recommend for people who love quiet study spaces and it’s ideal for short term study periods.

4. Simard

• Sitting space: Desks can be found on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors of this building.
  • Proximity to food: 6/10 –  there is a café in the basement and vending machines close by.
  • Outlets: 6/10  – there are outlets for the desks along the wall. Aside for those, they are very rare.
  • Windows: Regular sized windows and there is a lot more natural light on the 3rd and 4th floors.
  • Noise level: Quiet.
  • Access to Washroom: 8/10 – Washrooms are very close to the study area and easy to find.
  • Should you study here? Yes, if you value quiet study spaces. It’s ideal for long study sessions. I would recommend that you bring a lunch that doesn’t need microwaving and make sure your laptop is fully charged ahead of time.

5. Café Alt (located in the basement of Simard)

• Sitting space: Booths, couches and tables.
  • Proximity to food: 10/10 – the food at Café Alt is delicious
  • Outlets: 5/10 – there are outlets available; however, since it gets busy in the café make sure that your devices are fully charged before you head in.
  • Windows: None
  • Noise level:  Normal level of background noise
  • Access to Washroom: Washrooms are pretty easy to find in this building.
  • Should you study here? Yes, if you’re all about the hipster coffee shop vibe. It’s also not too noisy and there’s good food. I would recommend this for long study sessions.

6. SITE

• Sitting space: Lots of desks on every floor.
  • Proximity to food: There is a Tim’s and a mini food court in the building (warning: the Ice Cap machine is almost always broken so don’t get your hopes up about that).
  • Outlets: Lots of outlets at every other desk.
  • Windows: Huge floor to ceiling windows with tons of natural light.
  • Noise level: Moderately noisy. The amount of noise is bearable, but if you want a dead quiet space, this is not the place for you.
  • Access to Washroom: There is a washroom on ever floor and they’re easy to find.
  • Should you study here? Yes, I would recommend this for long study sessions.

7. 3rd Floor UCU

• Sitting space: Booths and Desks
  • Proximity to food: There is a small Tim’s on the second floor, but they don’t serve hot food and like the other Tim’s on campus, their Ice cap machine is almost always broken. There is also a Tim’s on the first floor along with Bento Sushi and the Pivik store.
  • Outlets: Almost none existent.
  • Windows: Regular sized windows and some natural light.
  • Noise level: Silent
  • Access to Washroom: There are washrooms on every floor in this building.
  • Should you study here? Yes, if you value quiet spaces. I would recommend for mid to long study sessions.

8. Morisset Library

• Sitting space: Lots of desks, but take note that around exams empty spots become rare.
  • Proximity to food: There is a Second Cup on the main floor, but no microwaves in sight.
  • Outlets: There are outlets available, but not enough for the amount of sitting space available.
  • Windows:  Regular sized windows depending on where your desk is located.
  • Noise level: Floors 4 and 6 are quiet, but floor 5 is a joke.
  • Access to Washroom: There is a washroom on every floor.
  • Should you study here? I would recommend floors 4 and 6 for those who actually want to study. Floor 5 is recommended for people who want to feel like they’re studying, but not actually getting anything done, or for people who don’t mind noise when studying.

9. Fauteux Library

• Sitting space: Lots of desk space, but note that some desks are reserved for law students.
  • Proximity to food: No food allowed (you could get kicked out if you are caught with food of any kind).
  • Outlets:  There are outlets on every desk.
  • Windows: Regular sized windows and lots of natural light.
  • Noise level: Very quiet.
  • Should you study here?  Yes, if you really want to get things done and food is not a priority. I would recommend this for mid to long study sessions.

These are not the only study spaces on campus, but I’ve complied this as a starting point. Could I write more? Yes, but even fairy godmothers get tired sometimes. Good luck with exams uOttawa and may the odds be ever in your favour.

Sources: Cover Photo

Hi, I'm Deborah. I'm currently a third year Communications and Political science student at the University of Ottawa. I'd describe my hobbies as those of a middle aged housewife, I love to cook, read, crochet, marathon Netflix and pin all the diy crafts i'll most likely never make.