This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Have you ever stood staring at a shelf in a grocery store for an unreasonable amount of time trying to decide which hot chocolate is going to taste the best after an intense snowball fight? I have. 

I’ve tried many a different hot chocolate mix in my *not very* long life, but it’s difficult to decide which is the best one when you are drinking them days apart – or in my case, hours apart. I’ve always wanted to do a taste testing scenario with different brands, but I could never justify buying that many hot chocolate packages. However, with a chilly winter in Ottawa well on its way, I’m sure they will be put to good use. 

My friend Abby and I got together and made a girl’s night out of taste testing four different hot chocolate kinds. We both tried all the mixes and gave them a rating out of 5. The score that you see, is the average between us. Price was not taken into consideration because they were all under $5. Each cup was made according to the instructions given on the package. 

Nesquik Chocolate Milk Mix – 33% less sugar – 2 tbsp of mix into one cup hot milk

Before we mixed this one with milk, I tried it with hot water first. However, it tasted completely wrong due to it being a chocolate milk mix not a hot chocolate mix. It had a nice creamy taste and wasn’t too sweet. It’s also convenient that it can be made with cold milk as well. We gave it a 3.5/5. 

Nestle Rolo Hot Chocolate Mix – 2 tbsp of mix into ¾ cup hot water

This one was more chocolatey and was sweeter than Nesquik but not overly so. It didn’t taste a lot like Rolo, but it would be good for a ‘pick me up’ on a rough day. It wasn’t very creamy but, when I asked Abby what she thought, she told me she needed to take another taste, it was that good. We gave it a 4.4/5.

No Name Hot Chocolate Mix – 2 tbsp of mix into ¾ cup hot water or hot milk (we made it with hot water)

This hot chocolate was sweeter than Nesquik but less so than Rolo. It was a lot more chocolatey and creamier than both previous ones. It had a stronger taste to it, but the after taste was still good. It didn’t mix entirely into the water, although that’s not necessarily a bad thing if you like little chocolate chunks to dissolve in your mouth. We scored it 4.6/5. 

Nestle Carnation Hot Chocolate Mix – Rich and Creamy – 3 tbsp, ¾ cup hot water or hot milk (we did hot water)

This one was by far the sweetest and definitely did not live up to its name of being creamy – it was probably the least creamy. It tasted a bit like the Rolo one which makes sense considering they both are from Nestle. It also didn’t have a great aftertaste. We gave it a 2.75/5.

Overall, our favourite one was the No Name mix, with Nestle Rolo coming a close second. Hot chocolate has always been a staple in my life and I’ve just now realized I have been buying the wrong brand this whole time! Hopefully, this helps all you hot chocolate lovers with future drinks and is a good place to start for anyone new to the wonderful world of hot chocolate. 

Adrienne Graham

U Ottawa '22

Adrienne is a first year International Development and Globalization student in the French Immersion program. She enjoys binge watching TV shows on Netflix, trying out new coffee shops, and running. She is also an avid soccer fan with her favourite team being Liverpool FC. Her long term goals are to publish a novel and to travel to every continent while her short term goal is simply to enjoy every moment as it comes at her.
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.