element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Christmas Playlist Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

And as the clock strikes midnight on Halloween and you listen very closely you can hear it; you can hear the faint cry of Mariah Carey wanting you for Christmas.

Listen, it’s basically Christmas time now and don’t let anybody tell you differently. The time for gingerbread, tinsel, and jingle bells is finally upon us. Don’t permit anyone to get sassy with you when you’re stringing up lights and garland in your dorm room, or buying a mini tree at Dollarama. They obviously aren’t merry enough for your top notch Christmas spirit. If there are people telling you “It’s only the day after Halloween.” or “It’s a little early for decorating.” or “You can’t string any more lights, our electricity bill will be too high.” turn up the volume on this playlist to drown out their un-merrier-ness, you don’t need that kind of negativity in your life.

1. Run Run Rudolph – Chuck Berry

2. All Alone On Christmas – Darlene Love

aka: My theme song every holiday season.

3. Santa Claus Is Coming to Town – Jackson 5

4. Last Night I Saw Santa Claus – The New Kids on the Block

Don’t even try to tell me you haven’t heard The New Kids on the Block’s Christmas album, don’t try to tell me you don’t love it either.

5. I’m Getting Nuttin’ For Christmas – Smash Mouth & Rosie O’Donnell

6. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) – Michael Bublé

I’d literally put every Michael Bublé Christmas song on this playlist if I could. Every. Last. One.

7. Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree – Brenda Lee

8. Christmas of Love – Little Isidore & The Inquisitors

If you recognize this song it’s because it’s from the cutest scene ever where mini Grinch is making his secret Santa gift for Martha May Whovier.

9. Jingle Bell Rock – Bobby Helms

The revised Cady Heron version was a very close second.

10. Baby It’s Cold Outside – Michael Bublé & Idina Menzel

Okay, first, have you seen the music video?

11. Santa Baby – Eartha Kitt

Slip this under the tree, for me:

12. Believe – Josh Groban

It wouldn’t be a real Christmas playlist without some JGrobs on it.

First things first (I’m the merriest) sorry to anyone who is disappointed that Mistletoe didn’t make the cut, but really, get that Justin Bieber Christmas album out of my face.

I hope this playlist put you in the Christmas state of mind. Please go and eat a candy cane, buy an advent calendar and listen to these songs when you’re making DIY beer can Christmas ornaments from Pinterest.

Bonus tracks (because it’s the season of giving):

Twinkle Little Christmas Lights – JD McPherson

We Need A Little Christmas – Angela Landsbury (from the musical “Mame”)

Christmas Wrapping – Waitresses

‘Tis the season, collegiettes™! 

Picture Credits

Cover Picture

I transferred to uOttawa in September of 2013 from the beautiful University of British Columbia. But don't let that introduction fool you, I'm from Nova Scotia.  I like dresses, I like the Toronto Raptors, I like Christmas, I like bread, I like online shopping, I like Mindy Kaling and I like penguins.