This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

There are 40,000+ students at uOttawa and it feels like literally every one of us tries to get a spot in Morriset during exam time. But why? It’s a yellowing box with bad fluorescent lighting and copy/paste cubicles that make you feel like your soul is being sucked out. There’s never going to be enough room, and there will never be enough charging outlets. Let’s not kid ourselves. It’s actually the worst place to study, in my opinion. 

Here, I’m going to give you some A+ alternative study places that will get you out and about.

1. For the serious coffee-drinker
Any of the Bridgeheads downtown are super cozy, especially love the one at Rideau Centre. You can go there for great baristas and conversation. It’s an Ottawa home-grown coffeehouse with fair-trade coffee and organic teas. The service is a delight and I could die for the sweet potato wraps. There are good vegan and vegetarian food options, too.

Ottawa has also recently got an Aroma Espresso Bar where you can have delicious food and spiked (oh lala) drinks in the Glebe.

2. For the money conscious caffeine-addicted
When the budget is looking a little tight, and you just want caffeine and sugar, you can never go wrong with good old Timmy’s. My favourite is the one at 161 Laurier: good placement of outlets, and the best kind of quiet bustle. It’s also two steps from the Ottawa Public Library downtown, which is also a great place to study (free wi-fi and everything).

3. For the stress-eater
The Freshii on Laurier is a place to get healthy, but nice-tasting, stress food. There’s lots of great lighting and places to sit. You can also go next door for the less expensive Subway option. 

4. When you just want to study
My favourite hangout place is the random seating areas in St. Laurent Mall. There are a bunch of couches and bar stool areas spread out around the mall. My favourite is the one next to Teavana and Michel’s.

5. Best of Byward
Planet Coffee for good vibes and coffee. Check into My Sweet Tea for excellent bubble tea and a chill atmosphere.

Tweet us pics of your favourite places to study on or off campus @HCuOttawa!

Sources: Cover Photo, Freshii and St. Laurent photo owned by Lydia Zhou

Scarf collector and exotic foods connoisseur.  Toronto, uOttawa.