This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

It’s not easy being green

Lee Majors of Six Million Dollar Man got it right with his album “Its not easy being Green”. Despite the fact that an increasing number of adults try to go green, many inevitably revert back to the days before being environmentally conscious was on their minds, because quite frankly, its hard to stay green.

Earth day (April 22) presents a great opportunity to think about going green for more than a day, taking it to a lifestyle level. Being students, its definitely a challenge, and taking it to the next level requires more than the little tree at the end of an email asking you not to print this if you don’t need it. The benefits of being eco-conscious are pretty obvious and well publicized, and lets face it: it’s much easier than exercising.

So how do you live a green lifestyle? You can easily go green by employing a few small lifestyle changes and becoming aware of your surroundings. This multi-part series will present a number of options to consider implementing in your life.

It’s easy to master, and once you get the hang of it, it becomes fun and second nature.

Lifestyle Changes

A scary concept, I agree, but these are minute changes that will impact your eco-footprint greatly. By reducing, shopping locally during the summer months (Byward Market, anyone?), and being conscious of waste disposal, these easy to implement options will have mother nature thanking you.

1. Reduce paper consumption

Going paperless in a school environment sounds crazy, and it definitely is. Paper was my poison of choice in polluting the environment for years until I realized just how much paper I used when I did a massive clean up of the past few years. Also: I was throwing too much money into the ink cartridges and dealing with paper jams was a nightmare. Luckily, the gods of software (Apple, Microsoft and Adobe) have taken pity on the penniless and there are number of software options to help you reduce your paper consumption.

2. Grabbing grub

Shopping locally (e.g. farmer’s markets and locally sourced goods) encourage green practices. By buying foods from Ontarian farmers at say, the Byward Market, or local green grocers, you are supporting a smaller chain of transportation and fuel consumption. In addition to that, you are also promoting your local economy! There are health and personal economic benefits too. Locally produced foods use less pesticides and preservatives, and can be cheaper and fresher. This summer head down to the Byward market and load up on farm-fresh fruits and vegetables. In the winter, keep an eye out for the Ontario sticker on your produce.

3. Being waste-conscious

Its as simple as knowing when the next blue bin or black bin day is, and what goes in which. The City of Ottawa can also send you reminders to your phone. Actively sorting your waste shows you just how much you actually use, which might surprise you. The University of Ottawa also has a great sustainability program and encourages proper waste-management.

Waste doesn’t just mean garbage and refuse. Products found in shampoos, soaps and sunblock can also contribute to pollution when it goes down the drain. It’s worth being weary and mindful of the harsh chemicals you lather on your head not just for your body, but for the earth as well.

Tip: if you don’t have a recycling bin, the City of Ottawa sends you a coupon for a free one? Get more info here and get the schedule: http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/garbage-and-recycling/garbage-collection/collection-calendar

4. Biking and running

Be sneaky and do good for the environment and your bod. Biking more often will give your calves and thighs a lean look and healthy kick, especially around Sandy Hill. Meanwhile, running places will improve your cardio, tone up your body and generally be good for you. On days where its rainy, theres always OC Transpo. 

5. Live it, love it, build it: Careers in sustainability

If you love the green lifestyle and want to pursue it as a career, there are a number of green jobs out there! Check out jobs and programs in environmental science, environmental management and sustainability, to name a few. This commitment to green living will show you just how impacting we can be on the environment and vice versa, making you rethink more lifestyle choices than these.

No matter what method you choose, being eco-conscious is a revolution in your lifestyle and requires active effort. Reducing, reusing, recycling and being generally aware of how your footprint impacts a local scale makes going green easier, and second nature. At a time like this, the environment could use a sustainable helping hand. 

Picture credits:

http://www.hippyshopper.com/a-…

http://www.organiclifestylemag…

http://fernwoodfarms.farmvisit…