This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Fashion week is a sacred annual time for everyone and everything. It is the best time to look and feel at your best. Red and black carpets and designers at every corner who come together to give you a glimpse into their mind. When Alexander McQueen presented his eerie S/S 2010 collection, he had the audience at the edge of their seat, completely struck with awe and envy. Although it wasn’t part of Fashion week, it was an incredibly moving collection. He put on a show that we’ll never forget, and he encouraged his audience to grasp at the bigger picture through fashion. 

Alexander McQueen S/S 2010

When we look at Elie Saab’s Haute Couture S/S 2015 collection, we are transported into a fairy tale, with long and elegant gowns, revealing Saab’s true passion for fashion. 

Elie Saab, Paris Fashion Week S/S 2015

But what we never hear are the very exciting and game changing events that take place at some of these fashion shows. Yes, I do agree that these fashion designers want to convey important messages. Alexander McQueen wanted to show how we are part of the circle of life in his S/S 2010 collection, and “when the waters rise, humanity will go back to the place from whence it came.” Even Karl Lagerfeld, the exquisite designer for Chanel, has embodied his brand and recreated ballerina clothing which mixes with the bright and bold colors of spring flowers. 

CHANEL S/S 2015 Collection

Although these fashion shows are what we wait for every season, there is one week every year, when the rules and highlights completely change… when the designers take out their claws (or sass) and come up with beautiful collections to show to the buyers, the media, and of course to us, the general public. New York Fashion week is a major event that’s held in February and September of each year. It’s an event where international designers are able to put on a show that gives the world a look at some of their major collections. It consists of multiple branded events such as New York Fashion Week (NYFW), Mercedez-Bends Fashion Week, and MADE Fashion Week. These groups of events are part of the “BIG 4” fashion events, alongside those in Paris, Milan, and London. Although these are the most exclusive and awaited events in the world, there are also multiple independent fashion shows that happen across the globe as well.

I’m here to present you with 2014/2015’s major highlights of Fashion week… Well rather the major highlight can be said in two words: CARRIE. HAMMER. Carrie Hammer is an upcoming designer that has been moving in the fast lane of constantly changing up fashion and beauty. She has gone way beyond the media idealization that you have to be skinny, and gaunt looking, in order to be worthy of wearing couture clothing. However, in NYFW 2014, Hammer decided to use role models to walk the runway and model her clothing. Hammer knew that the European trend of looking straight and gaunt wasn’t very realistic for many women, especially to young girls as it it tells them that this is the ideal body type. So she decided to use role models as the women to present her collection. Dr. Danielle Sheypu strolled onto the runway, as the first wheel-chair using model. 

Jamie Brewer, the star of American Horror Story, also graced us with her presence as one of the models for the 2015 NYFW. Carrie Hammer has shown us how powerful and inspiring it can be to show that ever woman is beautiful from the inside and out.  

The London Fashion Week in 2015 had a major theme of street fashion. Anya Hindmarch and Ashish, two London designers, expressed their love (or curiosity) with construction workers and the idea that sex sells. Ashish brought back a lot of embellishment in his collection filled with sequins and bright colors. Both designers went above and beyond expectations, and blew away the crowd with their sensational designs

Ashish S/S 2015

Disco is back! From the rockin’ 70s colours and vibes, Louis Vuitton’s designer, Nicolas Ghesquière, brought back the poufy sleeve silhouette. We’ve seen this sleeve a bit before, but Ghesquière has made it a major part of his collection for this fabulous and sophisticated label. This creation is sure to inspire many other designers, and before you know it, poufy sleeves will be back on the market!  

Louis Vuitton F/W 2015-16

Last but not least, the Milan Fashion show, the last of the BIG 4! Now, before I get into discussing the highlights of MFW, there was a major controversy regarding designers who used chemicals in the creation of their products. In 2014, Greenpeace organization protested against using harsh chemicals in their products. Greenpeace campaigner, Chiara Campione has set up “toxic-free fashion” signs hanging in the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, to insist designers stop using harsh chemicals in the making of their fashion collections. However, despite this unfortunate “fashion faux-pas”, the Milan Fashion Week 2015, was a great hit! Antonio Marrastook us back in time to an 18th century parlour with massive chandeliers, Rococo Art on the walls, benches lined with silk, finally wowing us with his muse for this seasons’ collection: Benedetta Barzini. Marras considered Barzini a Queen, and used the most elegant of textiles that are as inspiring as Marie Antoinette’s wardrobe, with Burgundies and dusty blues. Although this seems very out of fashion, Marras was able to incorporate a more modern appeal, such as a sequined mini dress with a crown.

Role models instead of traditional models, the disco era to 18th century couture..The Big 4 have accomplished so much and are bringing back the old while still incorporating the new!

Credits: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Hey my name is Madison, and I'm a fourth year English & Communications major at the University of Ottawa. I love fashion, beauty, and anything health related! I'm a frequent blogger (yay for tumblr), painter, writer, vinyl collector, traveler, shopaholic, and a hopeless romantic.