This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

I recently cut my bangs so you don’t have to. I mean, who doesn’t want bangs after staring at Rory Gilmore’s rocking hairstyle, or admiring Zooey Deschanel’s gorgeous locks for a little too long? I definitely did, and so I cut them. With my newfound love-hate relationship with my blunt bangs (and since they aren’t going anywhere anytime soon), I’ve compiled a short list of quick and easy hairstyles that get your bangs up and out of your face on those days that you just can’t deal with them.

Headband and Tuck
This hairstyle is quick and cute, making almost effortless minute work look complex and elegant. You’ll need a stretchy headband, placing it above your bangs just a little bit in front of the hairline where they start. Next, take the first few pieces at the front, and start tucking in your hair, moving down your head as you tuck. Here, you can choose to adjust the look into either a full up-do, or a half-up hairstyle simply by playing with the amount of hair you tuck into the headband. For extra volume, you can tease your hair beforehand and for extra hold, use good old hairspray.

Rope Braid
This style is very similar to the headband tuck, except, of course, without the headband. Start with your bangs forward and loose. Comb your bangs to a preferred side, grab a section of hair from the front of your bangs, and split it into two. Next, twist the first piece above the second, so that the second piece is now in front of the first. Grab a little bit more hair from the rest of your bangs, add it to the piece in front, and twist it above the other piece again. Repeat this process until your bangs are all twisted up in a rope braid and out of your face. You can adjust the length of the braid with the amount of hair you add, and then secure with two bobby pins. Alternatively, this can also be done with a French braid.

Fabric Headband
This is one of the easiest and most classic ways to add personality to your hairstyle and outfit without spending too much time focusing on your hair, and it conveniently gets unruly bangs up and out of the way. With this hairstyle, you can play with a lot of different options. Many beauty stores sell cheap and pre-knotted fabric headbands in different colours, styles, with various shapes of knots. You can also purchase a cheap headscarf and fold it yourself, which gives you many various ways of tying it yourself. Fold your headscarf into a triangle shape, with one corner sticking out slightly over the other. Then, with your triangle lying flat, fold the blunt edge over and over until you get a rectangular shape, and tuck in any loose corners. Now, you’re free to tie your headscarf however you please: in a tight knot, with the edges sticking out or tucked in, with your bangs secured below the scarf, or tucked out of the way.

Bobby Pin Art
Last but not least, put a spin on the classic ‘bobby pin ‘em up’ style by securing your bangs with bobby pins placed strategically to make simple and easy to recreate shapes. You can also spice things up with different coloured bobby pins, such as gold, silver, or even rainbow coloured. This is a super quick and easy way to pin up your bangs that can add a little flare of personality into your everyday look. To secure the look, hairspray is recommended.

Bangs can be a fun and and interesting way to change up your look, but they often require a copious amount of daily maintenance. With these quick, simple, yet creative looks, you can rock something new and personalized every time you can’t be bothered to deal with setting your fringe into place. Now go and get creative with your hair!

Sources: 1, 2, 3

SaveSave

Alena is a third year student at the University of Ottawa studying International Studies and Modern Languages.