This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Music shouldn’t be gate-kept. There are so many artists that have put out fantastic music. Music is universal and anyone can listen to it. This art form is extremely rich in culture because it blends various backgrounds. Spotify Weekly has blessed us with tons of good finds—so here are some artists you need to check out this fall!

Dijon

Dijon is a perfect artist for both fall and winter. The style of music he indulges in is a mix of R&B and soul. One of his songs, “Violence,” is about winter heartache. The song is also relatable, as it talks about convenience store walks close to campus. Dijon is perfect for people who enjoy listening to H.E.R, Giveon, and Solange. Some of his most famous songs are “The Dress,” “Skin,” and “Nico’s Red Truck.” If you want mellow vibes with some fun moments in your playlist, then Dijon is perfect for you.

Lolo Zouaï

Lolo Zouaï is an alt-pop artist that’s fun to listen to on car rides. One of her popular songs, and one of our favourites, is “Caffeine.” It’s the perfect song to listen to and feel on top of yourself, as well as put you in a good mood. Lolo is also part French, so much of her music has a hint of the French language incorporated in it as well. If you like artists like Clairo and Always Never, then you should definitely check out Lolo.

Omar Apollo

Omar Apollo is an all-time favourite artist of ours. This artist is extremely versatile with their music—if you want a cheeky vibe, listen to “Hijo de Su Madre,” or if you want a more mellow song, “Brakelights” is a good choice. In addition to the versatility, Omar has amazing vocals that will leave you in awe over his vocal range. His song, “Ugotme” is a good example of this. If you like listening to artists like Frank Ocean, Steve Lacy, and Joji, then Omar Apollo would be a great addition to your playlists.

Monsune

If you’re looking for something groovy but chill at the same time, we highly recommend Monsune. The album Tradition is AMAZING. Some great songs from it are “Cloud” and “1998.” He’s an indie-pop musician who goes by Scott Zhang off-stage. He’s also a Canadian artist, born and raised in Toronto, Ontario. One of his most notable songs is “Mountain.” A fun fact about Monsune: he also acts as the producer for his own songs, so everything is authentically his. If you like artists like Steve Lacy and Mac DeMarco, then we highly recommend Monsune.

Dreamer Isioma

Dreamer Isioma has had a couple of their songs trending on TikTok. One of them is “Sensitive,” which critiques cancel culture from a very interesting perspective. Most of Dreamer Isioma’s songs are about pop culture topics and their opinion on them. Another music that touches on these pop culture and social issues is “Stop Calling the Police.” It’s about how people will call the police on Black people without a just cause, and how, most times, innocent people end up suffering consequences they do not deserve. Dreamer Isioma is an indie/alt-pop artist that has a unique style of music. It’s definitely fun to listen to, as it makes a listener want to pay attention and hear what they have to say. If you like artists such as Clairo and Orion Sun, then totally give Dreamer Isioma a try!

Overall, music is something that is and should be shared universally, especially if it’s good music. There are songs out there for everyone and every mood you can possibly feel. By exploring new music, not only do you open yourself up to new artists, but also new genres. Hopefully, by sharing these artists, we’ve helped you be able to experience new music and discover some new styles!

Mariam Shahid

U Ottawa '23

A 4th-year Management student currently pursuing a degree in Commerce. I like to read, write and tamper with anything music!