This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Behind every organized person is their favourite notebook or journal (maybe with a favourite pen in there somewhere as well). No, I’m not talking about just any plain old journal; we’re talking about bullet journals! Bullet journals can range in definition, but are collectively thought of as tools of organization for very busy and very visual people.

When you create a bullet journal, the main foundation would be the journal itself. Needless to say, you should pick one that calls to you, is aesthetically pleasing, suits your artistic personality, and is a good size to write in. The fun thing about these types of journals is that they reflect the energy you put into them. If you take the time to thoroughly organize your goals, tasks and to-do-lists for the week, you’ll definitely remember those small meetings or assignments that you usually forget about until the last minute.

How exactly does one make a bullet journal? Since I’m a very visual person, I’ve made sure to incorporate a lot of art and colour onto each page. I usually organize tasks based on importance in different boxes, with goals for the week in another. I try to make each page have a theme, as well, be it space, plants, autumn, etc. By doodling and colouring, it allows you to feel productive even when such activities would make you feel like you’re wasting your time otherwise. 

You can also try to make a calendar view of the week, which is what I’ve done here:

Creating your journal really is what you make of it. The possibilities are endless. With the right amount of creativity and perseverance, you can add stickers, sticky notes, inspirational quotes, boarders, arrows, patterned tape, and even pressed flowers to your organized thoughts on paper! Still don’t know where to start? No problem! Here are some first steps for your much needed inspiration, which include tutorials, tips/tricks and inspiration.

When everything is boiled down, how exactly will you have the time to spend hours making a bullet journal pretty every week? Well, the thing is that bullet journaling can be a very therapeutic activity that not only releases your mind from the stresses of everything you have to do (let’s face it – you’re a very busy person), but also reminds you that you have to do them eventually. Journaling is like a playlist queue for your brain, helping it work out what’s going to start after one thing finishes. By taking the time to journal, you can actually work out those complicated life-equations and how you’ll tackle everything you need to do throughout the week. After all, being organized isn’t finishing everything at once; it’s making sure you get everything done throughout an extended period of time and ensuring you have time do engage in the activities that you love. Luckily, bullet journalling hits those two birds with one stone!

Already into bullet journaling? Have you just started? Work that aesthetic and tag us on Instagram in your best bullet journal photo @HCuOttawa

Sources: 1, 2, 3

Jesse Lesniowski, a 22 year-old student at uOttawa in the Environmental Science program. Loves writing, gardening, coffee, wine and making new memories.