This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

If you walk into any clothing store in the Rideau Centre, you may feel like you have been taken back in time to the 1980s. Don’t worry, it is still 2018 and yes, our iPhones exist! But isn’t it interesting to see fashion trends that once upon a time made designers say, “How on earth did they wear that?!?” and “I would never design such a thing!” Flash forward to now and they are trying to re-create those exact looks. What changed their minds? We did!

In the wake of the “Me Too” movement, protests for women’s reproductive rights, and the awareness around the pay gap between genders, women and men are working tirelessly to make it evident that “The Future is Female”. Hence, our current society is in full support of a strong working woman who means business. Taking this cue from the community, fashion designers have brought back trends that support this message.

During the 1980s, women of the decade took large strides towards feminism such as seeking higher education and being able to have their own credit line without their husbands. Even in the media, TV shows depicted how they could be working professionals and still have time for their families. As the 80s was a significant period for feminism, designers must have felt that the key trends of that era should resurface. These trends are brought back by these designers to depict women as powerful; they want to be taken seriously and they are here to work.  

I guess the phrase, “Fashion means more than just the clothes you wear,” is very much true!

1. Animal Print

Animal print, especially the cheetah print, provides a symbol of power. Hence, fashion week saw a lot of animal print in many collections, as designers collectively are trying to visually demonstrate the power women possess. So come on, channel your spirit animal… literally!

Zara Animal Print Handkerchief ($35.90)

H&M Pleated Skirt ($69.99)

Forever21 Cheetah Cropped Jacket ($44.90)

2. Clueless Plaid

Doesn’t this pattern just remind you of Cher Horowitz and her fancy outfit planner? (Secretly, I’ve always wanted one!) Cher was also a woman who meant business and quite often, that is what people interpret when women sport this pattern. Hence, designers took advantage of such a print to continue to show their support of current social justice movements. 

Zara Plaid Coat ($99.90)

H&M Wide Leg Pant ($19.99)

Forever21: Plaid Mini Skirt ($25.00)

3. Prairie Girl

The term “Prairie Girl” is not meant to be taken as a free spirit walking through fields, but as the hardworking pioneer woman. Thus, the fashion industry has taken up this trend to provide women with clothing that has function with a feminine touch. Ever wonder why jean jackets and denim skirts became so popular this season?

Forever21 Floral Print Mock Neck Bodysuit ($22.90)

H&M: Ruffled Chiffon Dress ($39.99)

ZW Premium Rocky Cropped Denim Jacket ($79.99) and Mini Skirt in Shadow Black With Studs ($49.00)

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.