8 Ways to Become Involved in Catherine McKenna’s Campaign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Last week we ran an interview with Federal Liberal Canadiate Catherine McKenna. This week, Catherine offers us the top 8 ways to get involved with her campaign! 

Are you interested in getting involved in my campaign? I’m always looking for dynamic volunteers who want to help make Ottawa a better place to live, work, and study. There are lots of ways you can be part of my campaign:

1. Come canvass with me: My hardworking volunteers and I go door knocking several times a week to hear firsthand the concerns of people who live in Ottawa Centre and to get them excited about my campaign. It’s a lot of fun, a great way to meet awesome people on my team (tons of students) and to get some exercise! First time canvassing? No problem. We’ll provide you with training and pair you with one of our experienced volunteers who can show you the ropes. 

2. Come out to events: We’re always hosting events for anyone who is interested in a progressive, sustainable Ottawa. Come join us for one of our forums or a pub night. 

3. Organize a coffee party or pub night: I’m always looking to meet residents of Ottawa Centre and understand their concerns. I’m happy to meet you and your friends to chat. It doesn’t have to be fancy! A coffee shop or pub is fine. 

4. Help me make calls: Our phone bank is one of the most important ways of reaching out to people and hearing about what is important to Ottawans. Join us one evening at my office to make some calls, learn about the issues, and meet other volunteers. 

5. Send me an email: I am interested in hearing about the opportunities and challenges currently facing Ottawa from everyone who lives here. Also, let me know if there are any events that you think I should attend. 

6. Share a status: I keep people updated on my campaign through Facebook and Twitter. Help me get the word out by sharing updates with your networks. 

7. Talk about politics: Spread the word to your friends about the upcoming election, encourage them to learn more about our democratic process and plan to vote. It really is important that young people vote! 

8. Just say hi: If you see me out with my team on the streets, don’t be shy to come and say hello! Also, feel free to drop by my office at 1098b Somerset Street West in Hintonburg.

Intersted in finding out more about any of these opportunities? Send our volunteer team an email today and let us know how you’d like to help! 

Sarah Kirby is a fourth year Joint Honours BA History and Political Science student at the University of Ottawa. Born and raised in Southwestern Ontario, Sarah now is proud to call Ottawa home. Sarah is also proud to be the Editor of News for the 2014-2015 Her Campus UOttawa Team.