8 Throwback Songs You NEED On Your Summer Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Have you been struggling to figure out your summer playlist? Has the prospect of spending the summer with no expertly curated soundtrack been keeping you up at night? Well fear no longer. Here are eight throwback songs that would be great additions to your 2022 summer playlist!

Say it right – Nelly furtado

This 2009 bop by Nelly Furtado is arguably one of her best, and most catchiest songs. While often being overshadowed by her other songs “Promiscuous” and “Maneater”, this song is just as great. It’s emotional while also being a song you can dance to, and has a killer chorus.

Favourite Lyric: “from my mouth, i could sing you, another brick that i laid”

perfect situation: Karaoke (especially post break-up)

This love – maroon five

Part of their AMAZING 2002 album Songs About Jane, this Maroon Five song is the perfect example of the killer songs they were putting out in the early 2000s. The instrumental perfectly compliment Adam Levine’s vocals and it’s the perfect song to get you in the dancing mood.

favourite lyric: “this love has taken its toll on me, she said goodbye too many times before”

Perfect situation: dancing around your room

consideration – rihanna ft sza

Two of the best female singer (in my opinion) on one track? What more can you ask for? The harmonies between the two of them are stunning and the combination of the beat and bass creates an instantly catchy rhythm that you won’t be able to get out of your head. We’re all praying that Rihanna makes more music and that we can hopefully get more songs like this one!

favourite lyric: “i needed you to please give my reflection a break from the face its seeing now”

perfect situation: hanging out with friends

thats not my name – the tings tings

This song is an example of a song you completely forget about until it starts playing, and then you suddenly know every lyric. It carries the ‘bounciness’ that early 2000 songs mastered and makes you feel like you could be starring in a teen movie with this song as the soundtrack.

favourite lyric: “are you calling me bird?”

perfect situation: getting ready to go out

rich girl – hall and oates

A classic like this needs no introduction. It’s literally the perfect song and remains timelessly good even though it was released over 40 years ago. You can’t help but smile when this song is playing!

favourite lyric: “cause there’s too much to give, cause you’d rather live for the thrill of it all”

perfect situation: cooking with friends

bad liar – selena gomez

Selena Gomez was not messing around when she released this single in 2017. With an addicting chorus, perfect vocals and a beat that you can’t help but dance to, this song should definitely be on your summer playlist. Some songs just have a ‘sunny’ vibe to them and this is one of them!

Favourite lyric: “but just like the battle of troy, there’s nothing subtle here”

perfect situation: going on a walk

brazil – declan mckenna

To be completely honest, I didn’t discover this song until a few weeks ago. BUT that doesn’t change how much I love it! Declan’s unique voice and the guitar melody are what makes this song an upbeat masterpiece. Released in 2015, this song hasn’t lost any of its charm and is the quintessential music throwback.

favourite lyric: “cause i haven’t bought you and i haven’t sold me”

perfect situation: nighttime drive

the spins – mac miller

This song has been one of my favourites for a while, and I think it perfectly encapsulates the feeling of summer. It’s energetic and impossible to not sing along to! Released in 2010, the upbeat instrumental and perfect use of sampling in the chorus creates a song that will always be a flawless example of a summer song.

favourite lyric: “i will only fly with you by my side”

perfect situation: bike ride

Katie Grierson

U Ottawa '25

Katie (she/her) is the Senior editor for the uOttawa chapter! When not writing, you can find her reading for her english lit degree, eating sushi, watching period dramas, and missing her dog! Her email is hgrie095@uottawa.ca