neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Ways to Get Enough Protein

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Protein is an important nutrient. It helps repair tissues and is a building block in the production of bones, muscle, skin, cartilage and blood. Protein is known as a macronutrient, meaning we need a large amount of protein in our bodies to function properly which means we need to be getting enough in our daily diets! These our some easy ways you can sneak more protein into your daily meals.

1. Diversify Your Sources

Most people think that meat should be their #1 source of protein, but that isn’t true! If you’re eating meat as your only source of protein, it may get pretty boring. Nuts, beans, legumes and many dairy products contain the right amount of protein. 

2. Pack Protein into your Sides

A common misconception is that most protein comes from your main dish (such as meats, eggs or fish), but you can get just as much protein from your side dishes. A side of beans or legumes can give your meal extra protein. You can also try try adding in a cup of spinach, beans or quinoa for a little protein punch!

3. Get Creative

Chickpeas are a great source of protein. You add them to a salad or eat them as a snack to increase your protein consumption. Most beans and nuts can also be thrown into a salad or a stir-fry for added nutrition. Being creative in how you can add protein to your diet makes your meals more interesting and helps fight the boredom of eating the same typical high-protein meals over and over again!

4. Use Substitutes
For anyone who doesn’t eat meat, getting enough protein can be difficult. However, you can always substitute other high-protein foods into meat-based recipes. Beans are a great source of protein and work wonderfully as meat substitutes. One of my favourite recipes is Black Bean Burgers! Tofu is another great way to get your needed protein without eating meat. For more meat substitutes, check out this list.

5. Make a Shake
Protein shakes are another excellent source of protein, especially post-workout. As a fundamental nutrient in the growth and production of muscles, protein shakes allow for concentrated protein consumption to facilitate muscle growth. By adding a protein powder supplement to your favourite smoothie recipes, you’ve created a protein-packed snack!

6. Eat your Protein First

Ever made a really great dinner than eaten all the “good stuff” so you’re too full to finish everything else? Eating your protein first will not only ensure that you’re getting enough, but it also helps to kickstart the production of a gut hormone called PYY that helps you feel full and satisfied to curb overeating!

Sources: Cover, 1, 2, 3

SaveSave

Hi, I'm Kailey, a fourth-year student studying Biomedical Sciences and English at the University of Ottawa. I'm an avid traveller, Starbucks dependent life-form, book lover, a devout fan of 80s music, wine addict, movie guru and a proud supporter of sweatpants and messy buns.