6 of the Most Bacteria Infested Places in Planes and Airports

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Well it’s November, and it’s at this time that everyone is planning for their winter break. Given the freezing temperatures that Ottawa can experience, a lot of people may choose to travel with family to spend their holidays somewhere warmer. People who travel by plane may not know about the volumes of bacteria they are constantly encountering on their trip. Be it on the plane or in the airport, you will be shocked.

Flight attendants have witnessed and reported some of the most disgusting habits being practised on planes. They have seen nail clipping, bare feet, smokeless tobacco chewing, breaking wind, and things stuffed in the back seat pocket. Sheets and pillows are also not cleaned after every trip; therefore, one must be careful and bring their own.

Here is a list of the most bacteria infested places people need to remember to sanitize before utilizing:

*Note: CFU/sp.in stands for Colony Forming Units per Square Inch*

1. Tray tables 2,155 CFU/sq. in

This is due to the fact that they are never washed or sanitized and people choose to do more than store their food on them. Some flight attendants report seeing people use them as a diaper changing table!

2. Drinking fountains 1,240 CFU/sq. in      

3. Overhead Air Vents 285 CFU/sq. in.      

4. Lavatory flush buttons 265 CFU/sq. in.    

5. Seat belt buckles 230 CFU/sq. in.

6. Bathroom Stall Locks 70 CFU/sq. in.    

What other places would you tell people to try and avoid at the airport? 

Sources1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11