Style > Beauty

6 More Reasons to Wear Sunscreen this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

You’ve heard it before and you’ll hear it again: remember to wear your SPF. But can sunscreen do even more than protect you from the sun? Sunscreen might secretly be the most versatile beauty product you own — all the more reason not to skip this very necessary part of your skincare routine this winter (because yes, you really do need to wear sunscreen year-round). Behold: the six lesser-known uses for sunscreen.

SPF can (maybe) reduce breakouts.

Zinc oxide, an active ingredient in some mineral sunscreens, has been hypothesized by many users of the Internet to reduce inflammation and breakouts. This checks out considering that zinc is also used as an active ingredient in acne products.

Sunscreen makes a great primer for makeup.

Unconventional, I know, but hear me out. The white or purple cast left behind when you apply a mineral sunscreen can have a blurring effect. And, once soaked in, sunscreen is juuust tacky enough to hold your makeup in place.

SPF yields anti-aging benefits.

Sun exposure heightens your risk for premature signs of aging: wrinkles, loss of elasticity, sagging, and a form of hyperpigmentation known as “age spots” — yikes. Luckily, sunscreen protects against these concerns.

Sunscreen can be used to achieve perfectly dewy skin.

Worn with or without makeup, sunscreen creates a beautiful glow just that screams “summer!” (v necessary in negative 30-degree weather, if you ask me), and produces dewy, radiant skin for a fraction of the price of your typical dewy skin products.

Sunscreen can actually smell… good?

SPF doesn’t have to smell like coconuts and chemicals (unless, you know, you’re into that). Sunscreen scents are becoming increasingly pleasant and diverse, and some people are even trading in their signature scent for the smell of their SPF.

SPF prevents your skin from drying out.

It might feel sticky AF while it’s on, but sunscreen keeps your skin from drying out in the cold, thereby keeping it soft and smooth. Don’t forget your lips — this applies to them as well.

So, in addition to, you know, protecting you from the sun, SPF doubles as an acne treatment, a primer, an anti-aging product, a dewy foundation, a perfume, and a moisturizer. Just try to name another product that does as much as sunscreen — go ahead, I’ll wait. Remember to slather up this winter; your beauty regimen, in addition to the health of your skin, will be all the better for it.

Emily wrote and edited for Her Campus and Her Campus at uOttawa from 2020–2022.