6 Experiences To Add To Your Ottawa Wintertime Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Calling all adventurers: there really is no better time to visit Ottawa than in the cold months. Whatever the capital lacks in warm weather, it makes up for it in winter activities. We all know about the famous Rideau Canal, but behind the skates and Beavertails, this city boasts so much more than that!

In between midterms and finals can be a stressful time of year and you SO deserve a break. So, grab your gals, bundle up, and head out to explore the city. Don’t forget to capture these chilly memories for the ‘gram!

Tropical Greenhouse 

Get out of the snow and immerse yourself in this rainforest-slash-greenhouse on the Experimental Farm. 

Winterlude Festival 

Ice sculptures, music, hot cocoa, oh my! The Winterlude Festival brings thousands of visitors to Ottawa every year; don’t miss out! 

Gatineau Park 

Enjoy snowshoeing and hiking in Gatineau Park’s beautiful snow-covered trails. It’s a winter wonderland! 

Celina Timmerman-Girl In Winter Hat In The Snow
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus

Sugar Bush 

Bring your car (and your appetite!) and take a day trip to a sugar bush in late February for some fresh maple syrup and the ultimate Canadian brunch. Fair warning – choose a sugar bush and call early if you’d like to make a reservation. Spots tend to go quick! 

Nature Nocturne 

Top off a jam-packed day with Nature Nocturne, a monthly soirée at the Canadian Museum of Nature’s, complete with food, drinks, music and dancing around the exhibits. This month’s theme: Bring The Flavour! 

Rideau Canal Skateway 

Of course, this wouldn’t be an Ottawa bucket list without our lovely Rideau Canal! Dare to skate the entire 7.8 km, and once you’ve made it, reward yourself with a nice lunch at Dow’s Lake’s Umbrella Bar. 

Former study-abroad girl who won't shut up about it! Big fan of Harry Potter, politics, strong coffee, baby goats, and oxford commas. Elisabeth is a senior at uOttawa, studying communications and political science.
Taylor is a 4th year student at the University of Ottawa studying Political Science and Philosophy. In addition to writing for Her Campus Taylor is the President of the University of Ottawa Equestrian Team, Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus uOttawa and the Vice President of the Ontario Collegiate Equestrian Association. Taylor spends her weekends competing with the team, and when she's not in class she can be found studying on campus. Taylor loves coffee, and tending to her plethora of plants.