This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Your gut plays an important role in your overall health and well-being! It’s responsible for breaking down and absorbing nutrients from the foods you eat, and can impact your immune system.

When you have a healthy gut, your gastrointestinal tract has a good balance of gut bacteria and is able to properly digest and absorb nutrients. However, when there’s an imbalance in your gut bacteria, it can trigger unwanted symptoms and even mental health issues.  

Some common signs of poor gut health include:

• Bloating
  • Upset stomach
  • Constipation and/or diarrhea
  • Sleep problems
  • Eczema and acne
  • Unintentional weight fluctuations
  • Fatigue

While you should speak to a doctor if you’ve been experiencing any of these symptoms, it doesn’t hurt to make certain small changes!

Here are five ways you can improve your gut health:

TAKE probiotics

Adding probiotic supplements to your diet can be beneficial, as they provide good bacteria to support proper gut functioning. Be sure to discuss your options for probiotics with a healthcare professional!

EAT fermented foods

Fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kimchi, yogurt, and sugar-free kombucha are great for improving gut health! They are often more potent than probiotic supplements, containing plenty of microorganisms that aid in digestion.

reduce fast food and alcohol consumption

Studies have shown that people who consume high amounts of greasy, fatty foods develop higher levels of harmful gut bacteria. Similarly, large amounts of alcohol can negatively impact the gastrointestinal tract. Reducing the amount of these in your diet will likely make a difference!

eat more fibre

Fibre decreases your risk of heart disease and is extremely important for optimal digestive health. Foods that are high in fibre include lentils, broccoli, dried fruits, whole grains, nuts, and popcorn!

Additionally, if you often feel constipated, you can try taking a daily fibre supplement like Metamucil.

prioritize sleep

You wouldn’t expect sleep to have much of an impact on digestion, but it does! Studies have found that sleep deprivation leads to increased stress and changes in the gut microbiome.

Start by gradually going to bed earlier and avoiding excessive screen time before sleeping.

Since your gut acts as your second brain, giving it some extra attention and care will have a positive impact on so many aspects of your life! It may be hard to implement all of these changes immediately, so start out gradually and let your body adjust.

Angelina is a fourth year student pursuing an Honours BA in Communication. Aside from writing, she enjoys art, iced chai lattes, and heavy metal.