diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Get Yourself Out of Cringe-Worthy Situations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

We’ve all been there, whether it be a run in with an ex, an impromptu conversation with a stranger or blind date gone wrong. Awkward encounters are practically a part of everyday life for most people. As someone who’s had far too many, I thought I’d share my experience in finding the best way out of those cringe-worthy situations.

Hopefully after reading this, you’ll be able to go into the world with a little more confidence and a lot less time spent in places you don’t want to be.

1. Fake a phone call.Old faithful. Pretend like you’ve put your phone on silent and you just happen to look down at it at the right time. Look at that! Mom’s calling, better make sure she’s okay.

2. Text a Friend.Or better yet, get them to phone you! Text a friend under the table or off to the side, tell them your situation and get them to call you to fake an emergency! Even better, if they’re in the same area, they could even meet up with you and pull you out of the situation themselves!

3. Emergency!“I just remembered I have to take my dog to the dentist!” You can never go wrong with suddenly remembering an important appointment you have to get to right away, or a sudden emergency that has just sprung up out of nowhere. This definitely gets you out of the interaction the fastest, and might even score you some sympathy points.

4. Weird them out.If you’re ever around someone who annoys you or just gives you bad vibes, try to beat them at their own game. If you’re confident enough and don’t mind making a fool of yourself, try to make them annoyed or uncomfortable. Odds are, if you’re successful, they’ll want to end the conversation just as much as you. Plus, you might get a laugh out of it.

5. Just leave.If you’re more of a straightforward, blunt person who doesn’t have a problem with letting people know how you feel, feel free to comply. Tell them you’re just not interested. There’s nothing wrong with telling someone you just don’t want to talk right now or you don’t feel comfortable. Obviously, it’s not that easy for some shy, introverted folk, but if you can, it’s your best option!

+1. Stay Safe!These are all valid ways to get out of harmless situations, but remember if you ever find yourself in a position where you feel seriously uncomfortable or scared, JUST LEAVE! Don’t worry about hurting their feelings, if you ever feel unsafe don’t let anyone make you feel bad for wanting to leave.

Picture Credits

Cover Picture1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6