This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It’s that dreaded time of the year: final exams period. This means studying all day (and night for many), drinking lots and lots of coffee, and being stressed out for around two weeks. One of the biggest struggles that many students have is trying to find a place to study. The first choice is usually to go to Morisset, where there are 4 floors of study space; unfortunately, the study spaces often fill up quickly, especially between 11 am and 5 pm. At Morisset my favourite spot to study is the fifth floor because I like to study anywhere that has a view, whether it be of a street or a landscape, to give my mind a rest in between huge study periods. If you also like to study with views and need somewhere to study when Morisset is full, here are some spots made for you:

1. Faculty of Social Sciences Building, Floors 13, 14, 15With views of downtown Ottawa, this is by far one of my favourite hidden study spots. While there are no desks in this space, there is plenty of floor space and many couches to sit on. It is usually pretty quiet on these floors because there are no classrooms and only a few offices, making it perfect for if you need to study in silence. When you get tired of staring at your notes, you can look out on the Rideau Canal and the Capital and watch the people and cars go by.Special tip: go in the afternoon and stay until sunset; you can find a beautiful view as the sky turns pink and the sun goes down!

2. Desmarais Building, Student Lounge Floor 2While these views aren’t the prettiest, they are definitely eye-catching! Climb the stairs to the second floor of the Desmarais Building and enter the student lounge area, located near the elevators. There are large bright windows for you to look out of and plenty of couches, chairs, and tables to work at. Here you get a view of one of the busiest intersections in the city, the cross of Nicolas St. and Laurier Ave East. The views don’t feature pretty flowers or gorgeous sunsets, but the moving cars and pedestrians are sure to catch your eye. They are good for stepping away from studying for a few minutes.

3. University Centre, Floor 3Many people forget that the University Centre has three floors. While that floor is traditionally known for having office spaces, it also has a lot of study spaces. There are booths, chairs and tables, and couches that you can use to study. This also offers views of the area around the University Centre, depending where on the floor you are. From one side, you can see the Faculty of Social Sciences building (and all the construction!), along with people walking to class and chatting. On the other side, you can see views of Sandy Hill, along with the changing skies as the day goes on. It is especially nice early in the morning and in the evening, when the sky changes from night to day!

4. Second Cup on Laurier Ave. EastIf people-watching is your type of view, then any coffee shop is a good place to start. I especially like the Second Cup right near campus below the Hyman-Soloway residence. It has the easy, close-to-campus location that many students like, and you can catch the uOttawa wi-fi. It especially has the tasty aroma of coffee. Coffee shops are great for people watching; you can find friends meeting for a coffee, students studying and random encounters at any moment. Special note: this is good if you don’t mind noise or can plug in headphones and tune out the world.

5. Faculty of Social Sciences, First FloorSome people find movement super distracting. If you want a view but don’t want a lot of movement, the first floor of the Faculty of Social Sciences building is the place for you. It has lighting that even on the darkest of days will make you feel happier. This is especially good for people who like a little nature in their view. The first floor has the best view of the living wall, which is especially great if you like a little color. The sounds of the water will put you at ease and the occasional glance at the wall will give your eyes a break from the pages of notes you are studying.

There you have it collegiettes! Happy exam season, and good luck studying!

Sources:

Cover Picture, 1

Avid baby goat enthusiast who crossed the border from Boston, MA to study at uOttawa. I love writing about anything and everything!