This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

1. How Stella got her groove back (1998)

A Stockbroker named Stella (Angela Bassett) travels to Jamaica after a flurry of bad love affairs with her best friend Delilah, there she meets Winston a 20-something man who sweeps her of her feet and lights up a passion inside her. But can they overcome distance and their age gap?

2. Love and Basketball (2000)

Monica and Quincy are two childhood friends who both aspire to be basketball players. Quincy is a leader and a natural born talent, Monica is competitive and can sometimes be overly passionate, over time their feelings begin to shift from friendship to romance.

3. Crazy Rich Asians (2017) 

Rachel Chu accompanies her boyfriend Nick to a family wedding in Singapore there she learns that her boyfriend comes not only from a wealthy family but is one of the most single eligible bachelors in all of Singapore. Rachel must overcome jealous socialites and a disapproving mother in law to get her happily ever after.

4. Bend it like Beckham (2002) 

Jess Bhamra comes from a strict Indian family growing up in London, she’s not allowed to play soccer. When secretly playing one day she is seen by Jules Paxton and Jules convinces her to play semi-pro. Using complicated excuses, Jess overcomes her parents control while developing feelings for her coach.

5. To all the boys I’ve loved before (2018)

Lara Jean Covey writes letters to every boy she’s ever had feelings for in order to release all her pent-up passion. And she puts them in a box and stores them in her closet, one night her sister Kitty finds these letters and proceeds to mail them. Lara goes on a mission to find all the letters before any of the guys can read them, while also battling her growing her feelings for her newest crush Josh.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Annie Joseph

U Ottawa '21

2nd year student at the university of Ottawa
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.