5 Reasons That Valentine’s Day is Better with your Bestie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Valentine’s Day, often regarded as nothing more than an overrated “holiday” driven by big box stores telling us what love is and how to show it. It’s another excuse to spend money on chocolates and roses and ultimately just to be cynical if you’re spending this day alone. Luckily my birthday is on February 15th so I love that virtually every type of chocolate is 75% off on my birthday. However, most of the single ladies would agree that it’s a time to gag about all the lovey dovey couples pretending Valentine’s Day is something to remember.

Let me be the one to point out that you don’t have to spend this day alone. No, you don’t need to start texting the guy programmed as “the creep”- call up your other single boos and get ready for a night to remember. Because having your best friend as your Valentine is by far the best decision you could ever make.

1. You will never feel guilty or embarrassed by the amount of chocolate you’re about to devour. In fact, she probably brought it over. Between that and the hefty amount of Ben and Jerry’s you were previously going to drown yourself in, you can now make sweet food babies together.

2. In the event you decide to spoil each other, she’ll buy you that cute scallop tee you’ve been eyeing from Topshop, rather than another heart-shaped necklace to add to the collection or another teddy to throw to the back of your closet to rot in teddy bear jail.

3. Valentine’s Day is MADE for watching rom coms and chick flicks, and that’s exactly what you can do. Rather than choking back tears at the end of The Notebook you can let those tears fall, baby girl. Your girls are ready with Kleenex and reassurance that it’s all a movie.

4. In the event you two put on your dancing shoes and wash down your feelings with some tequila, she won’t get mad at you for going home with someone else. Not only will she encourage it, she’ll be your wing girl.

5.  It will never be awkward seeing other couples’ Valentine’s Day dinners on Instagram. No envy or jealousy; just sincere happiness that you’re with someone who will probably be around longer than any guy ever would.

Regardless of your feelings towards Valentine’s Day, don’t let all those roses and chocolate-covered strawberries bring out your inner green monster. Invite your BFF over and spoil one another with your friendship and ice cream. Lots of ice cream.

Images:

1: 2: 3: 4

Graduated from the University of Ottawa with an Honours Bachelor with Specialization in Communications Currently working as a Content Coordinator at an advertising agency in Toronto. For business opportunities or cocktail recommendations: paulinakvanschaik@gmail.com