5 Ideas for Double Dates this Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Double dates are great. They’re double the people and double the fun, right? Then why is it that it’s so difficult to come up with the perfect place and the perfect couple to share the date with? Whether you’re about to spend your third Valentine’s Day with that special someone, or you’ve just starting seeing someone new and aren’t sure if they’re into the whole “celebrating us as a couple” thing yet, double dates on Valentine’s Day could be the best idea ever.

The only glitch? Asking another couple out on a double date can be just as hard as the first time you asked your boyfriend/girlfriend out.  But worrying that they’ll say no, that they have plans with another couple, or that they’re just not into you (two) will go away once you come up with the perfect double date!

For couples who just want to stay close to home

Home is where the heart is, especially on Valentine’s Day. Whether you’re watching your wallet or you waited too long to make a reservation at your restaurant of choice, having a night in is never a bad idea. In fact, I heard that Netflix is releasing the latest season of House of Lies this Valentine’s Day…

Things you’ll need:

• Couch
  • TV
  • Bottle of sparkling wine
  • A bunch of take-out menus

For couples who’ve been bit by the travel bug

The doctor’s tried, but the true remedy for the travel bug is more travel! Hop on the Greyhound or borrow your mom’s car; you guys are going on a road trip. Lucky you, Valentine’s Day falls on a Friday this year so you’re free to go wherever you want!

Place to go:

We recommend a trip to Montreal; far away enough that you’ll feel free, but close enough that you can still drive back at the end of the night, meaning you save the cost of a hotel.  Besides, there’s always a cool, undiscovered musician playing in Montreal! It’ll be worth the bragging rights when they play at this summer’s biggest festival.

For couples who have a sense of adventure

The Ottawa region is full of adventure!

Disclaimer: make sure to grab a couple that’s just as adventurous as you are, or else you might be spending the day coaxing two cowering friends down the mountain.

Places to go:

Tremblant: Spend a day on the slopes with the Powder Club– uOttawa’s very own Ski and Snowboard Club! The club pairs up with a group from CarletonU to spend each Sunday at Tremblant. Sure, Valentine’s Day is on a Friday this year, but your significant other won’t mind waiting the extra days to hit the slopes if they’re as adventurous as you are.

Skyzone: The sky’s the limit on Saturday nights, when Ottawa’s largest indoor trampoline park gets turned over to the big kids. Invite your favorite couple to do high flips or shoot some hoops while bouncing on a huge trampoline. While you’re at it, make sure to challenge them to a game of dodge ball! Girls against guys? Loser’s DD!

For couples with a love of all things exotic

Wasabi, chili or curry? What better way to spice up your double date than with a hint of something spicy and exotic? Challenge each other to see who can eat the most at all-you-can-eat sushi, who can have the hottest pepper at your local Mexican cantina (without begging for a glass of milk!), or who dares ask the chef to put the spiciest sauce in their stir-fry.

Places to go:

Hokkaido Sushi: It isn’t always easy to understand the waitresses so you’re never sure what you’re eating, but just go with it. Unlike other sushi restaurants, you can be sure that everything you order will end up on your table, and quickly too. Make sure to order ice cream at the end; it helps you forget how uncomfortably full you feel.

Ahora: Cheap food, great quality, and an ambiance that truly transports you to Mexico.

Mongolian Village: Load up your plate with everything you could ever imagine in one stir fry, and then watch as the chef fries it up in front of your eyes. A great conversation starter, with lots of raw meat to gross each other out with!

For the true North strong and free

While Ottawa might not be considered Canada’s North, it’s cold enough for ice sculptures to sparkle, for ice slides to stay nice and slippery, and for the Rideau Canal to remain Canada’s longest skating rink!

Places to go:

Jacques Cartier Park: Bundle up in your snow pants and parka. This time it isn’t just to fight off the cold, your bum will need that extra cushioning when you’re flying off the bumps at the ice slides! There’s free transportation from Ottawa to Gatineau for the slides.

Confederation Park: The best time to go to the park is at night, when bright, colored lights make the ice sculptures seem to come to life. The park is right downtown, so it’s easy to visit on your way to or from a bar. The best part about going with another couple is that you’re guaranteed to have your own personal photographer! You do have to return the favor, of course.

The Rideau Canal: Whether you’re strapping on skates for the first time or racing each other from one end of the Canal to the other (all 7.8 km of it!), skating the Canal is always a good time. Make sure to plan in a Beavertail or a trip into one of Ottawa’s many dessert shops for a treat afterwards. “ Oh So Good!” on York Street is my family’s favourite, and always wins my dates over.

No matter what you decide to do, or where you decide to go, there’s no reason to be stuck on a boring old two-person date this Valentine’s Day. Couples will be begging you to go on a date with them once they find out what you two have planned!

I am a fourth-year student in the Joint Honours Communication and Political Science program at uOttawa. I love to travel, eat great food and write!