5 Favourite Skincare Products for Dry, Sensitive Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Not all sensitive skin are made alike. I have dry and sensitive skin with mild eczema (that flares up with the seasons), along with a very empty wallet thanks to my fondness for trying and buying all sorts of skincare products marketed for “sensitive” and “dry” skin. After quite a few trials and errors (thank you, generous Sephora return policy), here are 5 of my current favourite products that have performed beautifully for me. Itchiness, irritated breakouts, and dry spots?

1. Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes

If there’s one thing I have to do before passing out in bed, it’s removing my makeup. I love Neutrogena’s makeup removing cleansing towelettes because they’re strong enough to remove waterproof mascara yet feel gentle on my skin. Having used it for over two years with no breakouts or resulting dryness, this makeup remover passes the test.

2. Hada Labo Tamagohada Daily Foaming Wash

I ordered this mega popular face wash off sasa.com last year hoping to finally find the one face wash that does it all. This face wash from Japan claims to smooth rough skin texture, improve skin tone, and remove blackheads all while being fragrance, oil, and alcohol free. Although foaming face washes are generally drying, it was the first time that a face wash didn’t leave my face feeling like it’s been stripped of the little oil I produce. While my blackheads are stubborn beasts that will not disappear, my face was oh so soft. Mission (mostly) accomplished.

3. Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel

Moisturizer is something I struggle with because while my skin never seems to get enough of it, a heavy one often times end up sitting on my skin, clogging my pores, and causing breakouts. Although not perfect, I do find that this moisturizing gel is a good compromise as it’s thin enough to sink in to my skin. I up the moisturizing level by layering it on. Needless to say, I buy this in the biggest bottle.

4. Fresh Rose Hydrating Eye Gel Cream

One of the downsides of having dry skin is the early wrinkles. Adding on that I spend hours in front of my laptop “studying”, an eye cream is a must. My BFF got me this eye gel cream for Christmas last year and I’ve been using it since. I love how supple the skin feels around my eye area, the thin gel consistency, and its relaxing cooling effect. It is a bit of a pricy item, but a little goes a long way.

5. Saje Eczema Ease Healing Treatment Lotion

On especially cold days during Ottawa’s winter, my regular skincare routine just isn’t up to snuff and my eczema flares up from my neck to my cheekbones. I was introduced to Saje early this year and it’s list of natural ingredients peaked my interest. I gleefully whipped this out during my next flare up to test its effectiveness. Verdict? Not only does the essential oil ingredients smell amazing, the lotion helped clear up my eczema in less than a week. Now whenever I feel the itch begin, I apply this lotion to the itchy areas and boom! No flare ups. I’m in love.

What are some of your favourite skincare products for sensitive dry skin?

Sources:1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Health & Lifestyle writer for the U Ottawa chapter. I love fashion, food, and exploring. Stalk me at http://whimsicalsoles.com