5 Easy Hacks for Fashionistas That Are Broke AF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

We’ve all been there before, whether it’s adding 13 items to your Etsy cart and not buying a single one, or accidentally making eye contact with pretty much anything at Nordstrom, our inner fashion queens have often left us feeling sad and broke AF. If you think only Kanye can turn ripped sweaters into a fashion statement, then you need to check out these 5 easy hacks that’ll leave you feeling like a creative genius yourself.

1. Eye-catching Accessories

Using big and bold accessories transform any simple outfit by attracting all the attention. This trick creates a “Given-chic” look for less than half the price and even less effort. Aldo or Forever21 are top options for low-priced accessories and ongoing marked down sales.

2. Red Lipstick

While nudes usually bring out your softer and simpler features, opting for red shades transform any casual outfit into the ultimate sexy and classy combo. This little hack is a life-saver when your ride is on its way and you have 10 minutes to miraculously go from a couch potato to Beyoncé.

Bonus tip: Matte lipsticks are best for using very little product with a long-lasting effect!

3. Remix pieces you already own

Give your wardrobe more credit and try wearing pieces you already own in different ways! This could be as simple as turning a poncho into an oversized scarf, throwing a comfy sweater over your summer overalls, or fitting a dressy blouse over a jumper suit. Who says your Saturday night OOTN can’t be your Monday OOTD too? We won’t tell if you don’t!

4. Thrift Stores are Secret Treasures  

Thrift shores were hidden gems for all our vintage and 90’s fashion desires long before Macklemore broke our radios to tell us just that. Not only do you save big time bucks on trending pieces, but you can also find authentic vintage and 90’s brands that are rare to most closets. So why look like every other girl who shopped at Forever21 this month when you could own the real deal for even less?

5. Listen to your grandma

Remember all those strange home remedies your grandmother swore by every time you stained your favourite clothes? Well, ‘ya shoulda listened because cheap wine has won one too many battles against all those cute dresses (well mostly sweatpants tbh, but who’s watching really). So instead of throwing ruined clothes to the back of your closet, browse Pinterest for some handy stain remedies, and save those clothes and your money instead!

Sources: Cover, 1

SaveSave

Raghdah is the Editor of the Fashion & Beauty team at the University of Ottawa Her Campus Chapter. Raghdah is a graduate of the University of Ottawa where she studied Political Science and now continues her work in the Government of Canada. Outside of her career, she spends most of her time writing, travelling, practising yoga, and running. If being a foodie, coffee-addict, aspiring cat lady, and binge-watching Scandal count as hobbies, then she's living the life. You will most likely find her planning her next trip or trying to adopt another cat at your local pet shelter.