This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It’s that time of year again, the dreaded exam season. But don’t worry! Your holiday break is just around the corner. While the holidays are a great time to spend time with your loved ones and friends, sometimes you have to have some time to yourself to watch your favourite shows. In this list, I will be listing 5 anime that you should and can definitely binge during your holiday break!

1. Plastic Memories

Plastic Memories is a sci-fi anime that takes place in the future. There are androids called Giftia who look like, act, have memories, and live amongst humans. The Giftia, however, do not live very long. They live for a maximum of 81,920 hours. If the memories of the Giftia are not erased by the Giftia’s expiration date, the Giftia become violent. The main character, Tsukasa recently receives a job order from his father to work at SAI Corp. Tsukasa works at the “Terminal Services”  one who is responsible for erasing the memories of the Giftia about to expire. Working there, Tsukasa meets a Giftia named Isla. As the story progresses, they slowly fall in love with each other.

2. Erased

Erased is about a young man named Satoru who possesses the ability called “Revival” which allows him to go back in time to prevent life-threatening incidents. When his mother is suddenly murdered, Satoru’s revival ability allows him to travel back 18 years when he was still in elementary school with the purpose of preventing a number of kidnappings of his friends. This is one of the first anime I watched as an “entry-level” anime watcher and I was hooked ever since. Definitely recommend!

3. Your Lie in April

Your Lie in April follows a high-schooler named Arima Kousei who was a piano prodigy. However, after the death of his mother, he suffered a mental breakdown that would prevent him from hearing the sound of a piano. After quitting piano for four years, he sees his life in black and white, no colour. That is until he meets the violinist that would change his life forever: Kaori Miyazono. The two go on lovely adventures together to rekindle Kousei’s love of music again. Definitely a tear-jerker.

4. Your Name

Your Name is a beautifully animated movie about a high school girl named Mitsuha in the countryside of Japan and a high school boy named Taki in the city of Tokyo. When Mitsuha complains about her boring life in the countryside, she begins having the ability to switch bodies with Taki in Tokyo. They both help each other in their respective lives from helping each other get dates, or to work up the courage to stand up to their classmates.

5. Wolf Children  

Wolf Children is a movie about a woman named Hana who falls in love with a man in college. It is later revealed that the man can transform into a wolf. Later down the road, Hana and the Wolfman have two wolf children: a daughter named Yuki, and a son named Ame. Soon after, their father is killed in an accident. Hana discovers that being a single mother is difficult, especially so since her children transform from wolf to human constantly. Eventually, Hana and her children move to the countryside to prevent the prying eyes of the city and start a new life there.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Shirley Yong

U Ottawa '21

Hello! I am a second-year Communications and Sociology student at the University of Ottawa. I'm just a nerd who loves RPGs and spending time watching cartoons instead of studying.
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.