This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The holidays are just around the corner… but so are your final exams. And the worst part? Having to find somewhere to study that isn’t overcrowded or as depressing as your mood. But have no fear! In this article I’ll share with you some insanely underrated study spots in Ottawa that are sure to help this exam season go by without any (or as many) tears!

National Arts Centre

Believe it or not, Ottawa’s National Arts Centre is a little more than an upscale event space and high-profile theatre. The NAC also happens to boast plenty of casual seating, stunning floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light, AND Equator Coffee! If you’re looking for an unconventional study spot that’s close to campus, look no further than the NAC. Located on 1 Elgin Street in Ottawa, the NAC is sure to cure some of your exam season blues!

Black Squirrel Books

If you’re anything like me, you have a thing for coffee and vintage books (of which you may also have a pile of at least 50 that have yet to be read). If this is the case, consider checking out Black Squirrel Books at 1073 Bank Street in Ottawa! Black Squirrel is an amazing study spot and more. Doing triple duty as a café, used book store, and event space, Black Squirrel Books is THE place to go if you’re looking for something Insta-worthy and a little out of the ordinary! This café is a little out of the way for most UOttawa students, which makes it the perfect place to go for a day full of exam cramming.

Simon’s Rideau Café

You can’t call yourself a UOttawa student if you don’t use the Rideau Centre as a place to procrastinate. But did you know that the top floor of Simon’s offers the perfect study spot? Coffee, natural lighting, and close proximity to campus make Simon’s Rideau an ideal place to work on those final assignments you’ve been putting off! Finish your Holiday shopping AND your school work in one stop.

Ottawa Art Gallery

Were you as excited as I was to visit the OAG when it first opened? Whether you’re a genuine lover of local art, a fan of modern architecture, or simply someone looking to up their Instagram game, the OAG has something for everyone. Including a place to study and chill! The Jackson Café on the ground floor of the OAG is bright, modern, spacious, and serves as the perfect study spot for someone looking for something a little different. Located at 50 Mackenzie King Bridge, the OAG is a super quick walk from campus, which means you won’t have to suffer frostbite to get there!

Jane Dukes

U Ottawa '20

Third year political science student at the University of Ottawa. Feminist, black coffee drinker, friendly person.
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.