This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The winter blues are in full effect this year and let’s be real, it’s starting to manifest in our clothing choices. When the temperature drops, so does our desire to look cute. Our reasons for wearing certain outfits are less about looking runway-ready and more about avoiding frostbite. We know we can survive the winter in multiple layers of leggings and the coziest oversized sweaters we can find but there is, however, an alternative. Here are four tips to help add some life into your winter wardrobe.

Pop of Colour

It seems kind of obvious but ask yourself how many times you’ve worn black, grey, or navy this week. It’s not a bad thing but it can get boring after a while. Colours are a fun way to brighten your outfit and a nice way to stand out from the sea of dull winter neutrals. Try a bright coloured coat or bag. Adding a pop of colour can take your wintry outfit from blah-some to awesome in seconds.

Glam it Up

During the winter months it’s easy to forget the power of a little sparkle. Sequins and glitter seem to be too much, especially during the day. A bejeweled sweatshirt is a chic and clever way of adding some detail to your outfit without being overpowering or overwhelming. Another way to do this is to add a bold statement necklace. Remember, a little bling never hurt nobody!

Layers Always Look Good (faux fur vest, blazer, cardi)

I cannot begin to explain how amazing layers are. When done correctly, your outfit will not only keep you warm but will also turn heads. The challenge is to get the right combination of lengths and textures. A faux fur vest is a great way to add some drama to your outfit and is easy to layer.

Remember to Accessorize

A good accessory goes a long way. Winter gear like gloves, scarves, and hats can be used to complete your wintery look. Look for a little sparkle on your headband or a fun print on your oversized scarf. The possibilities are endless.

The wintery weather can get the best of us in Ottawa and our style suffers as a result. Spending the winter months in leggings, Sorels, and a sweater is fine but sometimes it’s just nice to dress up a little more. Try incorporating these tips into your daily winter outfits and see if it makes a difference.

Do you have an any tips to keep your winter style fresh and on point? Tweet us @HCuOttawa!

Credits 1 2 3 4 5

Kaysey graduated from the University of Ottawa with a double major in English and Sociology and is currently studying Professional Writing and Communications at Humber College. She hails from the fabulous city of Toronto and can quote Disney like it's her job. Some of her favourite things to do are reading, writing, and aimlessly surfing the internet for inspiration. Follow her on Twitter or Instagram, @kaysey_dee,  or check out her blog: Portrait of a Fashionista