This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

The flowers are starting to bloom, the sun is shining and birds are singing to you. There’s only one word to describe this perfect scenery; spring. Not only is it spring, but it’s also time for exams. As the weather starts to get nice, it can be really hard to stay motivated or even focused enough to study for exams. Read our guide to find out all the tips and tricks to staying motivated and focused this exam period!  

1. Choose Your Outfits Wisely 

Wearing brightly coloured/ colourful clothing can change your mood. Just because you are studying, does not mean you have to wear sweatpants! Dress up in something casual, cute and yet simple enough to study in. Look approachable, not scary. If you don’t wear a lot of colour to begin with, that’s okay. Start with something small like accessories and make your up. *Check our campus style blog for some inspiration!*

2. Use Nature to Your Advantage

If you find the most comfort studying at home, open a window! This way, you’ll still be able to enjoy what nature has to offer. Not only will you focus better, you will also be inhaling fresh air. If you think that staying inside won’t do you any good, study outside! Go to your local park with a more private trail, claim a bench and open your books! You’ll feel happier in a natural environment and you won’t have any distractions from your roommate, bonus! *Try studying at Confederation Park or Tabaret Lawn!*

3. Time Management 

In order to study successfully without stress, you must take time for yourself! And no, a five minute coffee break does not count. Create a study schedule and stick to it. For every two hours you study, give yourself a thirty minute break. Do not sit in the library for eight hours at a time! Studying is not a full time job, it’s time you stop treating it like one.  Take time off and hang out with your friends! Go downtown for an afternoon, or grab a bite to eat at the market! 

4. Music, Music, Music! 

Studying with absolute silence can be really difficult. It can sometimes do more bad than good. You’ll be so focused on your surroundings, every little noise you hear will drive you crazy. Create a playlist with summer-inspired music to keep you energetic! The music will keep your brain going and keep you awake. If you think listening to music that you are familiar with will distract you, check out a few music sites with playlists. That way you won’t know the lyrics and won’t get distracted and want to sing along. *Try 8tracks.com , they have some awesome tunes!* 

Don’t blame the weather for why you couldn’t stay focused this exam period. Use the great weather to your advantage! We know no one can ever enjoy exam period 100% but you don’t have to dread it either! Enjoy what Mother Nature has to offer and get motivated! The sooner you get to studying, the more time you’ll have for running through flower fields. 

Photo Credits: