This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

There are many different genres of books, and not knowing which genre is for you can make it hard to get into reading. Not all books have to be so miserable to read that you can’t help but zone out after every other sentence. Finding the right genre might actually make you realize you like reading. So, here’s a guide to getting into reading—with a specific focus on the poetry genre. These four poetry books are filled with poems about self-love, human struggles, mental health, heartbreak, identity, pain, relationships, and more. 

Eighteen Years by Madisen Kuhn

This is a poetry book about growing up. Kuhn’s poems talk about people’s deepest desires, fears, and dreams, as well as loneliness and independence. This book goes through the ups and downs of growing up and puts those feelings into words, exploring topics of belonging, self-identity, and much more. One of my favorite poems Kuhn wrote in her book is a poem called “Awakening,” which is about wanting a life you have control over.

Yesterday I Was the Moon by Noor Unnahar

This book is a collection of poems about self-love and making peace with yourself. It has poems that express how to cherish the the little things in life, and Unnahar also uses illustrations throughout the book which makes it all the more personal and engaging. The title of her book is incorporated in one of her poems, as Unnahar gracefully writes, “yesterday- i was the moon / today- just an eclipse”. If this line from her poem intrigues you, I recommend this poetry book, as there are many other beautiful quotes that are just as good.

Watering the Soul by Courtney Peppernell

This book is divided into eight different sections, as a “recipe to heal your soul.” For example, in the beginning of the book Peppernell includes an illustration of a recipe on “how to water your soul.” Throughout the book, there are themes of appreciation, forgiveness, and healing. In the beginning, there is also a two-page introduction that leads into what the poetry book will be about. An inspiring line from her introduction says, “to grow one’s soul is a journey, not a race”. Peppernell overall tries to explain how healing is a journey that should not be rushed.

A gentle reminder by Bianca Sparacino

This collection is about heartbreak and reconnecting with yourself. It is full of poems with reminders of the importance of having yourself come first and being comfortable in your own skin. It also discusses the lessons you learn through heartbreak and Sparacino presents, in a beautiful way, a lesson of how what is meant for you in life will stay. While I personally have yet to read this book in its entirety, it is on my TBR for the elegantly written poems I’ve seen from her book.

Overall, there are many different types of books that focus on various different topics and themes. These are just a few of the many poetry books out there, and even if these books don’t pique your interest, there are plenty of other poetry books that may be of more interest to you!

Kelly Hoban

U Ottawa '26

Kelly Hoban is the lifestyle editor at Her Campus for the uOttawa chapter. She enjoys writing articles about films, books, and anything pop culture. She is currently in her second year at the University of Ottawa, majoring in Communications with a minor in Creative Writing. In her free time, she loves to play tennis and enjoys reading and writing. When she’s not writing, she’s probably watching a new film!