Kristen Bryant-Thinking In A Lala College Sweatshirt
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

3 Podcasts That Have Helped Me As An Anxious Uni Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Most of the time, I choose to treat my anxiety like an annoying roommate. She’s always there, “borrowing” my self-esteem and reminding me of all the housework I’ve been neglecting. My anxiety and I have been living together for as long as I can remember, and some days are better than others. Some days the chemistry hits differently, and I’m unstoppable! I forget all about our shared space and go about my day like the boss that I am. Other times, getting out of bed is an impossible task and walking by reflective surfaces physically repulses me. On days like these, I reach for my AirPods.

Jenna Marbles once said that people liked to listen to her rants because it “felt like people (Jenna) are bi***ing for you.” I like to think that these podcasts are dealing with my insatiable roommate for me. Because sometimes you just need some good old-fashioned saving. I’ll return to being my trail-blazing self once I rid myself of the day’s anxiety. Here are three of my all-time favourite podcasts!

UNF*ck YOUR BRAIN

I owe the success of my first two years at university to this podcast. Kara Lowentheil is a Harvard Law School graduate, feminist icon, and master life coach who uses psychology, intersectional feminism, and life coaching to guide her audiences to better and more meaningful lives. What I love most about this podcast is that it doesn’t treat its listeners as fragile or pitiful. It’s a real, accountable insight into how thought patterns affect our understanding of relationships and systems of power in our daily lives. Kara gives helpful advice on how to challenge our beliefs and thought processes, and re-wire our own brains to believe in what serves us. She’s funny, raw, brilliant, a little raunchy, and down to earth. Each week, Kara sits down with experts or members of her life-coach college “The Clutch” to discuss new topics such as imposter syndrome, financial anxiety, attachment styles, and how to create lasting systems of change through intentional thought work. Anxiety Dragons beware!

Link on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/3Zq2XDpVrtadTR1xOfzhzo?si=7654ef77d0cf4a1f

Time alone

I come to this podcast when I feel like my cells are vibrating from stress. Creator Siobhan Lauren’s voice has such a soothing cadence that it can settle my nerves during even the most brutal exam. This podcast is full of informal, raw conversations about mental health, unpacking hustle culture, and recovering from episodes of stress and burnout. The podcast shares affordable “that girl” wellness tips, spiritual guidance, and scientific examples for coming to terms with anxiety and promoting self-compassion. Honestly, when I’m listening, it feels less like a podcast and more like sitting at a coffee table with a trusted friend, disclosing what’s been bothering me while sipping a comforting matcha latte.

Link on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/77surLeMMJiFhe7dk9Cy8o?si=f1424754739b4f11

Make your damn bed

Sometimes on high-functioning days, I forget that I need to acknowledge my unfortunate roommate before leaving our shared space. This podcast is perfect on days when I only have five minutes to spare. Each episode is a quick morning check-in, designed to last the amount of time it takes you to make your bed in the morning. Two birds with one stone, eh? These short snippets include daily positive affirmations, check-ins, and words of encouragement and advice on how to best tackle the day ahead. One of my favourites recently has been “Goofy Goals” where creator Julie Mercia explains that our New Year’s resolutions don’t have to meet capitalistic criteria in order to be worthwhile. Perhaps you want to learn to draw, juggle watermelons, or perform a poem you’ve been sitting on since middle school. You don’t owe anyone an explanation, you don’t owe your anxiety justification, you only owe yourself a shot at happiness.

Link on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/1r6UFoAQ9kr3J7k61yw5zM?si=6323fd364fe04a02

The last few months for me have been hard. My mental roommate has been taking up far more space in my head than I would normally allow. These podcasts have been immeasurably helpful on my journey, and I hope that they serve you as well. Take advantage of these podcasts, reach out, and please know that we at Her Campus at U Ottawa are rooting for you. You got this!

DISCLAIMER: Please seek medical attention if you are in a mental health crisis. This article is not a replacement for medical advice.

Originally from Vancouver Island, Sophia is a transfer student in UOttawa's Honours English program. When she isn't writing, you can find her adventuring overseas, trying out new cafes, and taking her beloved pug Ponyo on scenic bike rides along the Ottawa river.