This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

After seeing this trend on TikTok, I have come up with so many things I want to eliminate or incorporate in my life in 2024. Here are my personal ins and outs!

My 2024 Ins:

#1. Self-Care Night Once a Week

Whenever I get super busy, especially during exam season, my self-care tends to go out the window. So this year I’m going to take the time to dedicate at least one day a week to self-care, whether it’s doing a facemask, taking a walk, reading a book, or anything else I’m in the mood for!

#2. Drinking More Water

I’ve always been the type of girl who either has a headache, stomach ache, or something else going on, so my goal this year is to make sure I actually drink water! Plus this gives me an excuse to buy another cute, yet unneeded, water bottle.

#3. Podcasts

I, along with what I’m sure are many others, always have headphones in my ears as I walk around. In 2023 I was in a huge music-listening era, but this year I really want to shift my attention over to podcasts! I think it’ll be a super fun way to learn new things and will always provide me with something interesting to listen to.

#4. Digital Cameras

In 2023, my friend decided to bring a digital film camera whenever we all decided to go out, and it’s definitely a trend I want to keep up with in 2024. I just think digital cameras are such a cute way to keep track of memories, and they make for the best photos at the end of the night!

#5. Handwritten Letters

Whether it’s to say thank you or just a little note of gratitude, handwritten letters are something that needs to be brought back! My family and I always handwrite letters or make homemade cards for holidays, and it’s still one of the traditions I cherish the most. I’ll be sending out lots of handwritten letters in 2024!

My 2024 Outs:

#1. Eating Out/Takeout Food

Whenever life gets really busy or I have a lazy night in, I tend to opt for takeout rather than cooking..which costs me a ton of money in the long run. This year, I really want to focus on making more meals and finding easy but delicious recipes.

#2. People Pleasing and Overthinking

This is one I am 100% guilty of at times. I stress over everything from what others will think of my outfit to letting out a loud sneeze in class and being stared at by my classmates. Overthinking and people-pleasing DEFINITELY need to stay in 2023.

#3. FOMO (Fear of Missing Out)

One of the worst things is not wanting to go to an event but feeling afraid to say no in case you miss something. As much as it’s important to say yes to opportunities, it’s equally as important to know your limits and say no when you need to—and that’s the motto for 2024!

#4. Self-Comparison

Something that significantly reduces my tendency to compare myself to others is taking the time every month or so to declutter and clear out my social media. I remove people who add negativity to my life, who I don’t really care about or speak to, and try to limit my following to only the accounts that have a positive impact on my life and my self-esteem.

#5. Endless Social Media Scrolling

Last, but certainly not least, is endless scrolling on social media. We’ve all gone on our phones with the intention of taking a ten-minute break from studying, but end up scrolling mindlessly for hours and hours. I want to be really mindful of how I’m using my time this year and focus on using my spare time to work on myself and my interests.

Although I have many ins and outs of 2024, those are some of my favourites! For me, this year is going to be one of self-love, development, and growth, and I can’t wait to see what 2024 has in store. I just hope it’s better than 2023, and I know this year will be one of big changes for myself and everyone around me!

Emma Hefkey

U Ottawa '26

Emma is a second year criminology student at the University of Ottawa! She loves reading, travelling, art, and spending time with family!