This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

As the beginning of the year 2020 is fast approaching, and with that the start of a new decade, it only makes sense to review what the 2010’s has brought us. From Justin Bieber to Blank, this decade has been a roller coaster of technological advances, crazy trends, and memorable moments. So, if you’re feeling a bit nostalgic lately, buckle up and enjoy this compilation of highlights from the last decade. 

2010: “There’s an app for that” 

In the year 2010 Apple’s app store was just a mere 2-years old and was finally beginning to gain traction. With the launch of the iPad in April and the iPhone 4 in the summer of 2010, it seemed everyone was making the switch to a touch screen device. It didn’t take long for everyone to have apps for everything they could think of – daily planners, games, and so on. 

2011: “Royal Wedding, I repeat, Royal Wedding!”

Surely you remember watching the Royal Wedding between Kate Middleton and Prince William on TV. There was such a hype about the whole event. On April 29th, 2011 the world watched the beautiful and elaborate wedding of Will and Kate. I mean, look at her dress! She looked stunning on her big day!

2012: “Music, movies, and TV shows galore!” 

2012 was quite the year for pop culture! In the music industry artists such as Rihanna, Adele, Bruno Mars, Gotye, Carly Rae Jepsen, and Taylor Swift brought us some bops that topped the charts for weeks and won awards.  Television shows such as The Voice, NCIS, and Homeland were widely watched and talked about. Popular movies released include the Avengers, The Hobbit, Lincoln, and The Hunger Games. 

2013: “Video games, anyone?”

This was an exciting year for the gamers of the world. Sony released the PlayStation 4 gaming console in November of 2013, while its rival Microsoft released the Xbox One the very same month. Another highlight worth mentioning was Apple’s release of iOS 7, which blew us all away, as well as the release of the iPhone 5C and 5S. This was clearly a big year for technology. 

2014: “The Smartwatch Wars” 

In the fall of 2014, Apple launched it long-awaited “Apple Watch”. It acted like a companion to your iPhone and allowed you to do many of the same features as your phone. Google also released its “Android Wear”, and many other companies came out with their own versions including Motorola, Samsung, and LG. Another notable highlight was the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. As a result, over 6,000 people died, and the outbreak was the largest ever recorded in history. 

2015: “Call me Caitlyn”

Caitlyn Jenner first introduced herself to the world on the cover of Vanity Fair proclaiming “Call me Caitlyn”. A few other notable highlights include: Drake’s “Hotline Bling” became a GIF-able clip prompting parodies all over the internet, the books “Go Set and Watchmen” and the “Girl on the Train” instantly gained popularity, and Netflix’s “Making a Murderer” drew a lot of attention over the story of Stephen Avery. 

2016: “The Binge of Stranger Things” 

The first original series premiere of the year was Netflix’s Stranger Things, which resulted in a huge increase in streaming on the platform. It didn’t take long for a huge Stranger Things fanbase to develop. From the 80s nostalgia, to the love for eggos, this show really has it all. #WinonaForever

2017: “Ariana’s One Love Show for Manchester” 

Ariana Grande was performing a concert in Manchester in May when a suicide bomber detonated an explosive device, killing at least 22 people and injuring more than 100. This was a devastating tragedy that sparked a lot of concern for public safety at concerts and large venues. Grande’s sold-out benefit, which was planned after the first terror attack, was held in June. The event had several guests, including Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber. If you don’t remember, this concert was an emotional but joyful event for everyone, especially Ariana.

2018: “#Metoo”

The #Metoo movement began to take over in the year 2018. Kesha dedicated the performance of her hit “Praying” at the 2018 Grammys to the movement. She was in the middle of fighting a legal battle with her producer Dr. Luke, whom she accused of sexual assault and harassment. Throughout the rest of the year, several others spoke up regarding this movement including Ashley Judd, Annabella Sciorra, Salma Hayek, and Alexandra Raisman.

2019: “AI and 5G networks”

2019 has been a big year for technology, and there’s certainly been a lot of hype. With the advances in AI and the 5G network, who knows what will be in store in the future. The 5G network is already in its trial phases and will likely be available in Canada next year. There have been several AI discoveries throughout the year including the use of AI in the pharma industry. 

Elly Walsh

U Ottawa '22

Elly is a second-year Biomedical Sciences student at uOttawa. When she's not in school you can usually find her outdoors or curled up at home with a cup of coffee and a book.
Taylor is a 4th year student at the University of Ottawa studying Political Science and Philosophy. In addition to writing for Her Campus Taylor is the President of the University of Ottawa Equestrian Team, Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus uOttawa and the Vice President of the Ontario Collegiate Equestrian Association. Taylor spends her weekends competing with the team, and when she's not in class she can be found studying on campus. Taylor loves coffee, and tending to her plethora of plants.