11 reasons LDRs are a lot like LOTR

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

LDR (long-distance relationships to the uninitiated) can be really tiring. If you plan on going on exchange or working abroad during your university career, this might be a reality you will have to face. You go from seeing your significant other every second possible, to only getting one Skype call a week (if you’re lucky…). You rack up tons and tons of stories that you’re just DYING to share with that special someone, and when you finally see them, all you can think is: I miss you! Moving to a new place all on your own can be challenging. And worst of all, they aren’t there to experience the new culture and adventure with you. But no matter where you both are, you’ll always have The Lord of the Rings. 

1. You were taken out of the beautiful green land you knew and sent on an adventure

Goodbye Canada, Hello World!

2. The people around you all seem so exotic and speak in strange tongues 

French, Spanish, you name it!

3. At least one of the eleven creatures you encounter will seem mesmerizing, but they’re bad for you 

Let’s face it. You’ll be away from that special someone, and a little bit lonely… 

4. If you weren’t used to it before, you’ll now get second breakfast 

The European coffee and croissant are so NOT enough for breakfast!

5. There will be animosity and betrayal 

There’s no getting around it: you’ll have a great time and betray your hometown by falling in love with your new one

6. There’s a lot of talk about rings 

Some cultures move really quickly on marriage proposals!

7. A great power sees all 

The power of the internet and the lovely invention of Facebook, twitter, Instagram…

8. A kind wizard is there to comfort and guide you from time to time, but can’t actually accompany you on your journey 

Your special someone will do their best to cheer you up, and there’s no doubt about it: you’ll light up every time they make an appearance. Bonus points if they have a wooden pipe.

9. There’s a lot of drinking involved 

Alright, so maybe there aren’t any Rider taverns or drunken dwarves, but there COULD be – this is a mystical new world after all!

10. Sometimes you wish that you could just disappear

Your funny accent, funny clothes, funny habits can seem a little too noticeable

11. Remember, when the adventure’s over, you get to return home to the people you love

I am a fourth-year student in the Joint Honours Communication and Political Science program at uOttawa. I love to travel, eat great food and write!