summer girl hawaii yoga hiking exercise view high res version
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Wellness

10 Quick Ways to Center Yourself in a Minute

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Sometimes, life is overwhelming. Or so it seems. Sometimes, your mind and body tell you to step back, take a moment to refocus. But who has the time to go for a walk or take a warm bath whenever things seem to be getting out of control?! That’s when quick, simple ways to center yourself, wherever you are, can become handy. 

Here’s a compilation of short and easy practices to a better, calmer, and healthier mindset. ​

Focus on your breath. 

As many as 3 to 5 slow, deep breaths can help you center yourself. Breath-in and out, counting to 5 seconds before exhaling. 

Look around – notice your environment.

Building awareness starts by being aware of what is surrounding you. You might as well be sitting right next to a huge plant or fridge, without having any idea about it.

Feel your face.

You might notice tense muscles you had no idea existed. Try relaxing them, feel your face go back to normal. Relaxing your face will help you relax your entire body.

Stretch your fingers.

Move your fingers up and down, feel the tension leave them. You can even massage your hands for a better sense of relaxation.

Look out the window – search for movement.

If you’re not already outside, have a peek out the window. Look out for movement – a bird flying? Cars going by? Someone walking their dog? Seeing activity will relax your mind, make you feel centered and alive. (As long as life outside your window is peaceful. If it is hectic, avoid stressing yourself further by acknowledging it.)

Listen to a song that reminds you of peacefulness.

Music heals. Music brings back memories, and create new ones. Listening to a song filled with peaceful moments – or that reminds you of happy feelings – will help you center yourself immediately.

Find your body’s points of contact with the ground/chair/whatever you are currently touching.

Awareness. That is the key. Noticing what you are currently touching, where you are currently standing, or even what shoes you are wearing, will help you put yourself together and feel centered.

Put your hands through your hair, massage your head.

Doesn’t it feel good to do that! Massaging your head will help eliminate tensions on your skull and forehead. 

Close your eyes. Smile to yourself.

For a couple of seconds, picture yourself in a happy place (if not already there!). Imagine yourself somewhere that brings you joy (on the beach, in your bed…wherever you find peace!). That will help center yourself and remind you how happy you can be.

Pay attention to your heartbeats. 

If they’re crazy fast, try controlling your breaths so your heart rate slows down. Even the simple act of acknowledging your heartbeats is a step towards relaxation.

To center yourself is all about relaxation and peacefulness. Keep these easy steps in mind, and whenever you feel like losing it – or need a little reminder that you are a human being. Try some, if not all of them. You might notice a huge difference in your quality of life and your general happiness.

Fourth-year journalism student at UOttawa & La Cité, Rebecca is Senior Editor for the HCuO chapter—entering her fourth consecutive year with the team.
Taylor is a 4th year student at the University of Ottawa studying Political Science and Philosophy. In addition to writing for Her Campus Taylor is the President of the University of Ottawa Equestrian Team, Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus uOttawa and the Vice President of the Ontario Collegiate Equestrian Association. Taylor spends her weekends competing with the team, and when she's not in class she can be found studying on campus. Taylor loves coffee, and tending to her plethora of plants.