This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

So exams are done. Summer is starting. You are ecstatic that the school year is over, but you feel as though you are missing something…

A summer fling. 

Since many of us students can’t afford a trip to a sunny beach in Australia to fall in love Sandy-Danny style, or are too busy working full time in order to pay off our increasing tuition fees, all we have left are our imaginations—and our books. Here are the top 10 literary characters we would all love to have that summer fling with.

10. Peeta Mellark, The Hunger Games by Susan Collins

Peeta is the guy who’s secretly liked you from afar for ages, but was never able to muster up the courage to say anything.  He’s compassionate and eloquent, and remains patient while you try to figure out your life.  Peeta is loyal and will stick by your side, no matter what, in order to make sure you’re safe.  Maybe it’s time to give Peeta a one-way ticket out of the friend zone, what do you think?

9. Gilbert Blythe, Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

He’s handsome, he’s smart, and he’s the one who incessantly teased you when you were kids.  You vowed to never speak to him ever again, but he’s always there in your life—you grow up together and realize that you would be great friends. He would do anything for you; even give up his dream job as a teacher in your hometown so you can have a great job and stay close to home and family.

8. Augustus Waters, The Fault in our Stars by John Green

Tall, attractive, and intelligent.  Need I say more? Mahogany hair and blue eyes.

Alright, alright.  Gus is truly a very nice guy.  He believes in Hazel when she can’t believe in herself and makes her world a brighter place while she’s struggling with her cancer, all while he’s battling it himself.  One thing is for sure, you can count on him to be there when you’re at your worst to help make your dreams come true.

7. Dickon Sowerby, The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Though he’s one of the youngest on this list, he’s described as being like the God Pan since he has the powers to heal and charm animals and people alike.  He has rosy cheeks, rough curly hair, and eyes as blue as the sky—there is no doubt that Dickon is a handsome and hardworking boy with amazing abilities.   If he were our age, let’s say, he would be the perfect guy to bring you on a beautiful hike in the woods, teaching you about the wildlife and yourself.

6. Neville Longbottom, Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

Always portrayed as the weak and useless student in the Gryffindor House, it’s safe to say that Neville has come a long way since his first few awkward years at Hogwarts.  By the seventh and final novel in the series, he’s proven to be a loyal friend and natural leader as he steps up as leader of Dumbledore’s Army during Harry’s absence.  Neville is a sweet and caring boy, and I’m ready to bet my school savings that he’s great in bed.

5. Mr. Rochester, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Despite his stern manner, his not-so-handsome appearance, his recklessness, and the crazy wife he has stashed in his attic, Mr. Rochester is a sweet, passionate, and wealthy man.  But, what makes him different than other high society men, are his abilities to put aside his polite manners, propriety, and consideration of social class in order to be more honest and humble, making you feel like equals; because let’s be honest, men and woman are equals.

4. Samwise Gamgee, The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R. Tolkien

Sam is a true friend who will stick by your side through thick and thin, and you can always count on him to have your back when you’re going through tough times (or trying to destroy the one ring).  A dreamer and a poet, what else could you want from a man?  He’s also a Hobbit, so if you’re a little short yourself and like hairy feet, then you’re a match made in the Shire!

2 & 3. Fred & George Weasley, Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

It’s so difficult to choose just one Weasley twin, so they’re both included in this list.  They are fun-loving and loyal friends, yet can be highly mischievous when they’re together.  Fred and George are known for their differentiating senses in humour, but both are amusing, charming and know how to have a good time.  However, if it weren’t for Fred’s inevitable devastating fate, I would have hoped they come as a two-for-one package deal.

1. Mr. Darcy, Pride and Prejudice

Of course, Jane Austen’s most well-known and favoured character would be first on this list.  Not only is he the son of a wealthy family and is the master of Pemberley Manor, but he is also intelligent and driven.  Fitzwilliam is at times ill-tempered and overly proud, but our biased views of him are eventually overthrown by his diligent and continued devotion for Elizabeth Bennet that shows his humility and passion.  No matter how awkward and embarrassing your family might be, he will always do his best to help you out because he truly cares about you.  And, honestly, who wouldn’t want to live at Pemberley?

Is your ideal literary partner on this list?  If not, who would you like to sleep-in with on a lazy Sunday morning?

Photo Credits: 

1, 2, 3

Stephanie lives with her parents and is currently studying English Literature and German Language at the University of Ottawa. She enjoys stalking the aisles of cramped and unorganized bookstoores, watching Doctor Who, and listening to The Beatles. You can follow her on Twitter @englitsteph and find her writerly Tumblr at www.pen-scratches.tumblr.com .