10 Books to Read in 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

1) J. K. Rowling’s “Casual Vacancy”

One of the most recent works by this Harry Potter author set her apart from being an exclusively children’s fiction writer and propelled her into a separate league. Her book explores several tangents of families following a casual vacancy within their town, and the death and subsequent temporary vacancy of a public governing official. Several different stories are explored but all merge together as one nearing the end of the text, revealing how every man, woman, and child has secrets of their own, which ultimately binds us together.

2) “To Kill a Mocking Bird”, Harper Lee

This classic American Novel made it to number one on the Times 100 Books of All Time list, and so it felt both appropriate and necessary to include. Once banned from being read in schools due to inappropriate racial slurs, this book is now read consistently through almost all Canadian secondary schools and is seen as a vital part of class curriculum. This text explores the injustice experienced by African Americans within post-slavery USA, and the daily struggles they faced to survive.

3) Stephen King’s “The Long Walk”

While this book may not be at the top of any renowned literary lists that I know of, it is personally one of, if not my favorite book. Originally a short story by Stephen King, he later expanded it into a full-length text, and for good reason! This work explores a futuristic world wherein young adults compete on a sort of walk-a-thon, with which only one survives out of 100 competitors. It raises the question of what humans are capable of in terms of entertainment, but also what we would do to earn the coveted prize at the end of the walk.

4) Victor Hugo’s “Les Misérables”

What I believe to be the only novel which ever made me cry, this classic piece of literature is another work commonly recommended within University classes for English lit students. While this is a rather long and arduous novel, it is absolutely worth every page that is read. Exploring themes such as poverty, familial affection, and the power of lost love, this book raises many important themes through its pages. It is also incredibly romantic, and a perfect book to keep you company through some of these long Ottawa winters!

5) J. R. R. Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings”

While I have never personally read this book, it has been at the top of my “to read” list since I finally watched the trilogy a couple years ago. As an English minor I can appreciate the linguistic innovations Tolkien achieved with this text, as well as the immense creativity demonstrated through the various scenes and characters he created. While this is again a fairly substantial endeavor to undertake in reading the entire series, it is well worth it from what I have been told!

6) At least one Nicholas Sparks book

Yeah they can be cheesy and take only about two days to breeze through, but they truly are popular for a reason. The intricate plot and character stories are incredibly creative and unique, and always have awesome twists near the end. Additionally, I can appreciate that every story has some aspect of tragedy, and is never a perfect and therefore unrealistic fairy tale ending. My favourites have been Safe Haven and The Lucky One, and if you aren’t in the mood for reading, the movies are fairly good adaptations!

7) “Animal Farm” by George Orwell

Also heading Time’s magazines list of books to read in one’s lifetime, this classic allegory explores the capacity of humans in a mob mentality, but also the corrosive effects of ill leadership in a large group. This is demonstrated through human characters represented in animals; however, enriching this text arguably even further. This book is also another one traditionally read throughout Canadian classrooms, so if you haven’t already read it definitely a good one to consider!

8) “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins

Sitting at the top of the list of “Books to Read Before 21”, this trilogy gained immense popularity after it’s publication. Also blooming a largely successful movie franchise, these romantic yet action packed texts are thrilling for a wide range of audiences and brought a lot of enjoyment to myself while reading them!

9) “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”, by Ken Kesey

Another classic novel, this text explores the fundamental basis of human friendship, and the different contexts that can strain or challenge this. Following the adaption of a man into a psychiatric ward and the various friendships he makes during his time spent there, Kesey’s work is not only comedic, but also very heart warming and thought provoking.

10) Fitzgerald’s “The Great Gatsby”

This text also made it to number 5 on the Time’s list of book to read in your lifetime, and for good reason. This novel explores the concept of the American Dream, and how this pursuit of happiness can truly become the root of all discontent in the end. This novel was also recently made into a well-reviewed movie including Leonardo DiCaprio, though I would definitely recommend reading the book to hold a better appreciation and understanding of the adaptation!

Photo Credits:

http://nuclearpoweryesplease.org/blog/2012/02/17/weekend-reading/

http://www.vh1.com/celebrity/2011-06-28/50-animals-who-know-how-to-read/