This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Music has a strong hold on me. Whether it’s while I study, with the volume blasting in the car, or with my headphones while I’m walking, music is always playing. I’ve compiled a list of 10 different albums that I’m really loving right now all from different artists and a couple of different genres. They are listed in no particular order, and I love them all equally!

Ultraviolence – Lana Del Rey

First on the list is a 2014 Tumblr classic. This is Lana Del Rey’s third studio album and an absolute masterpiece. Especially in the wintertime when it’s gloomy out, I will always put this album on. Her lyric skills really shine, and the instrumentals are amazing. My favourite songs off of Ultraviolence right now are “Black Beauty” and “Old Money.” The smooth guitar and her vocals are out of this world, and if you have not listened to this whole album, I feel bad for you!

In Rainbows – Radiohead

I recently listened to this whole album and… wow! Although it’s only ten songs, every one of them is so amazing. Genuinely from another planet, Radiohead knocks it out of the park (but that is given). It’s a super popular album and a definite 10/10. My favourite songs off of this album right now are “Faust Arp” and “Weird Fishes/Arpeggi.”

Extraordinary Machine Fiona Apple

I recently re-listened to this album after a while, and it still blows my mind every time. Fiona Apple’s lyrics in this album are fantastic and it sounds so different from her other albums. It feels like another winter-ish album to me, too, like Ultraviolence. My favourite songs right now are “Please Please Please” and “Tymps (The Sick in the Head Song).” They are both fantastically written, both musically and lyrically. It is no joke that Apple was so ahead of her time when she released this in 2005—it is timeless and still manages to amaze me.

Back to Black – Amy Winehouse

Another early 2000s classic! Back to Black is such a beautiful time capsule of the late Amy Winehouse (RIP). The hits of this album are “Back to Black” (of course), “Rehab,” and “Tears Dry On Their Own.” These three are fantastic songs, but my favourite right now is “Love Is A Losing Game.” The songs just feel so raw and real, like I’ve broken Winehouse’s heart and she’s singing right to me. It’s an absolutely beautiful album, and will make you feel anger, love and loss like you never have before!

Babylon Soundtrack – Justin Hurwitz

I loved Babylon when I saw it in theatres. I was so excited that I went to see it alone, and then once more with a friend. (If anyone wants to go with me for a third time, let me know!) I love the director, Damien Chazelle, and his work so much. I think he’s so smart, and a great director and writer. The music in this movie is also by the same person who made the soundtrack for Chazelle’s last movie, La La Land, which was no doubt one of the best movies ever. Both La La Land and Babylon’s soundtracks are perfect for their respective films. Babylon‘s soundtrack is crazy, chaotic and beautiful, yet somehow soft all at the same time. I highly recommend both the movie and the soundtrack!

CRASH (Deluxe) – Charli XCX

I love Charli XCX so much—like, so much! This album is fantastic, but specifically, the deluxe version is my favourite. The deluxe added on the songs “Selfish Girl,” “How Can You Not Know What I Need Right Now,” “Sorry if I Hurt You,” and “What You Think About Me.” If you like something a little bit more hyper pop, then this album is for you. Every song is amazing and tells a story that is hidden in the lyrics. You can jam out and cry to this entire album, there are no skips!

Preacher’s Daughter – Ethel Cain

This is an increasingly popular album right now. With Ethel Cain rising in—very much deserved—popularity, the album is getting bigger and bigger! Preacher’s Daughter will be a classic, for sure. This is the kind of album that you need to blast and really feel in your bones. Cain’s lyrics tell a deep and sad story throughout the entire album that you should definitely research as you listen to it. The sound she has is so unique and moving, and every song is amazing, but “Thoroughfare” is definitely my favourite.

The Queen Is Dead The Smiths

Another classic! This is such a good album to listen to with friends because the songs will make you want to dance, but the lyrics can really make you think, too. The most popular song is of course “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out,” but my personal favourite is “I Know It’s Over.” This album is totally an influential classic, and if you have not listened to it yet, you definitely should.

The Fame Monster (Deluxe) – Lady Gaga

If you like pop and camp, you should definitely listen to this album. Although I doubt very many people have not heard the hits off of this album yet (the popular songs off are “Telephone,” “Bad Romance,” “Poker Face,” “Just Dance,” “LoveGame,” and “Paparazzi.” There are tons more super popular ones, but specifically, the deluxe version of this album is my favourite. My favourite songs are “I Like It Rough,” “Brown Eyes,” and “Speechless.” Even if you only like Lady Gaga a little bit (although it’s impossible not to love her), every single song on this album will make you just dance!

Solar Power – Lorde

This album was totally slept on. I really, really love it. My favourite place to play it is in the car on a sunny road trip. It is very different from any other Lorde album, and it deserves as much love as the other ones! Although maybe not critically better, the vibe is completely different. It’s akin to taking the first smell of summer, hearing the ocean, and being with the people that you love. My favourite songs from this album are “Stoned at the Nail Salon,” “Secrets from a Girl (Who’s Seen it All),” and “Oceanic Feeling.” From the deluxe edition, I also love “Helen of Troy.” The songs will transport you to another dimension, and I highly, highly recommend them.

Overall, every single album on this list is a total 10/10 from me, and I highly recommend every single one here. Happy listening!

Avalyn Kwai Pun

U Ottawa '26

Avalyn is a first year joint honours Political Science and Feminist and Gender Studies student. She's passionate about social change and feminism, and has hopes to become a lawyer in the future. She enjoys reading, spending time with her family, music, and writing!