dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

1 in 5: Spot the Signs of Dating Abuse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

According to the 2013 National Youth Risk Behavior Survey, as many as 1 in 5 young people will experience dating abuse, with young women having a higher likelihood. Sometimes in a relationship, however, it can be hard to spot the signs of abuse. To help promote healthy relationship behaviour, DoSomething.org started a campaign where they share resources and information about how to spot the signs of dating abuse.

Before talking more about the great resources available, it’s important to know what dating abuse is. Dating abuse is shown through a pattern of abusive behaviours (physical, sexual, psychological, or emotional) that an individual uses to exert power and control over their current or past partner. This abusive behaviour can even include stalking. Additionally, in the age of social media and increasingly advanced technology, it’s important to remember that dating abuse can occur electronically, as well as in person.

Did you know?
Did you know that domestic violence is most common among women between the ages of 18-24, and that 23% of females and 14% of males who have experienced rape, physical violence, or stalking by an intimate partner, first experienced some form of partner violence between 11 and 17 years of age?

The Solution
One of the ways to help promote healthy relationships is to share information and resources to raise awareness about spotting the signs of dating abuse. DoSomething.org has created a guide to help you distinguish between a healthy or abusive relationship that you can then share with your friends to spread the word!

DoSomething.org also provides insightful follow-up questions to prompt discussions surrounding healthy relationships and dating abuse:

1. Being true to yourself, respect, and making decisions together are a few signs of a healthy relationship. Imagine your dream healthy relationship. What else would you look for?
  2. Have you ever spotted someone disrespecting their bf/gf in public? How did you handle it?​
  3. Some unhealthy behaviours go so far over the line that they are not only unhealthy, but also unsafe. Nasty putdowns, controlling behaviours, and physical violence are all unsafe. What other behaviours do you think are unsafe? What would make you think about getting help for a friend?

If you or someone you know is in an abusive relationship, you can get help by reaching out to a teacher, doctor, or adult that you trust. You can also text CHAT to 741741, for free, 24/7 for emotional support at the Crisis Text Line. If the danger is immediate, however, always call 911.

Remember, abuse is not normal and it is not the fault of the person being abused. Everyone deserves a healthy and safe relationship! If you would like to get involved in the 1 in 5 campaign, read the guide and share it with your friends.

Sources: 1, 2

Rebecca is a fourth year student at the University of Ottawa studying Biomedical Science with a minor in business.