Zuri Tibby: Victoria’s Secret Angel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

On Thursday, November 2nd, I fulfilled one of my childhood dreams. I finally met (and interviewed) a Victoria’s Secret Angel. After watching the Victoria’s Secret Fashion show annually for years on end, I somehow snagged the chance to ask one of these amazing models all of the questions that built up in my mind. Guess what girls and guys, they are just like us. At least, Zuri Tibby is!

Hailing from Florida, Zuri Tibby was discovered by Victoria’s Secret in a shopping mall only at the age of 15. Since then she has been the feature of multiple PINK campaigns, walked the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show in 2016 and is going to walk the runway AGAIN in 2017. Let’s not forget, she’s only twenty two years old. Brb, while I hide in a corner and cry.

What was a VS Angel doing in Ann Arbor you might ask? Of course to promote the new Victoria’s Secret PINK and Michigan clothing gear collaboration! Their grand opening was this past Thursday and fans had a chance to meet Angel Zuri as well as browse the collection. Overall, this was the best 10 minutes of my life. So, thank you Zuri for being a cool, smart, and beautiful model and for taking the time out of your day to talk to me. Here is what she has to say.

Her Campus: Working as a model, how do you think companies like Victoria Secret address societal ideas about body image and what advice do you have for girls who are struggling with body confidence?

Zuri Tibby: I think that the industry is very inclusive of all body types and everything like that. I think that remaining healthy and focused, and being balanced in life is the way to go. And to be confident.

HC: I have read that you’re interested in psychology, would you ever consider going back to school to pursue a degree? In other words, what are your future plans?

ZT: I would definitely go back to get a degree. Psychology is something I am interested in because my mom is in it. Growing up around that has influenced me a little bit. I think I would go back to school because I love football and being on campus. It’s such a beautiful campus, all of that.

HC: Would you want to attend College in Florida? [ Where she grew up – Yes, I did my research.]

ZT: Yes, Florida for sure. HC: As an angel,  your social media presence is obviously very important, but what are your personal favorite accounts? Instagram related.

ZT: I love following Meme accounts. I love @boyswhocancook. I also look on the discover page, and save a lot of stuff about The Office. It is my favorite show.

HC: Who is your favorite character on the office?

ZT: I love Crede.

HC: What has been the most surprising part about working for Victoria Secret so far?

ZT: Working with VS PINK, the most surprising part is that everyone is family to me now. They are all so cool to work with. I know everyone so well now and I never thought that work could feel so comfortable.

HC: What is your most favorite part about working for Victoria’s Secret PINK?

ZT: I think it is the energy; it is so young as it is a collegiate brand. I feel like it is very me, and refers to my age group. I can relate to everything we are doing, campus visits, launching the new collection for University of Michigan.

HC: I always love to end my interview with a funny question, so, what is your favorite dog breed and why?

ZT: A Pomeranian because that’s the type of dog that I have.

P.S: I was silently having a panic attack as we took this photo.

P.P.S: She is a full head taller than me. She is 5’11. Perfect height for an angel in my opinion.

P.P.P.S: As I tried to prepare myself for the picture, she told me that I looked good.

Images courtesy of: Lulu Weisfeld, Fashion Style Detroit 

Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!