Wiard’s Orchard: Your One Stop Shop for Everything Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

A month into classes and the leaves have already begun to change color. The smell of Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks fills the air with their sweet aroma. Girls have pulled out their leather boots and flannels paired with puffer vests… this can only mean one thing: it’s finally Fall.

With Halloween just around the corner, it is time to take advantage of the endless fall festivities Ann Arbor has to offer. But before you begin filling your (non-game day) weekends with what you plan do, make sure the first stretch of time you reserve in your planner is for a Saturday afternoon trip to Wiard’s Orchard. Here is just a little of what a day at Wiard’s would look like:

U-Pick Apples: An apple a day keeps the doctor away. From McIntosh to Golden Delicious, Wiard’s Apple Orchard has got you covered. Whether you want fresh ingredients for a homemade apple pie, or you are in search of the perfect picture to Instagram, look no further. For over 80 years, Wiard’s has offered u-pick apples, perfect for all ages, through their Country Fair. So grab your friends and your boyfriends, it’s time to get picking!

Cider & Donuts: No cider mill trip would be complete without a trip to the bakery. Fresh pies, cider mill donuts and fresh-pressed cider are sure to make your mouth water. Wiard’s Country Store and Bakery has got it all. With homemade jams, jellies and salsas aplenty, there are options for everyone to enjoy. You DONUT want to miss out on these treats this fall. And let’s not forget a caramel apple for the road!

U-Pick Pumpkin Patch: Pumpkins are a staple of fall. And if you love Halloween as much as Frankenstein, you will bring at least two of them home with you for carving. Just think of how cute your jack o’lanterns will look on your front porch. There are pumpkins in every size, but only one color: orange. The u-pick pumpkin patch is a great place for photos with friends and maybe even a new Facebook profile picture. Pumpkin seeds make for a great snack too: bake them in the oven and sprinkle with a little salt!

Hayrides: Get ready for an eerie tractor-drawn hayride through the woods. Watch as creatures of the night appear out of nowhere and try to spook you as you move along a tree-lined pathway snuggled up against all your friends. Make sure to dress for the weather because rain or shine, the show must go on. The ride lasts approximately 20 minutes so prepare to be scared!

Petting Farm: Imagine a trip to the zoo filled with all your favorite farm animals. From goats to llamas, Wiard’s Animal Petting Farm open from Wednesday through Sunday is perfect for anyone missing their pets back home. With friendly animals who will eat from your hand if you let them, the petting farm is a must see during your trip. Wiard’s even offers pony rides on the weekends.

Corn Maze: Who doesn’t love a good corn maze on a chilly fall afternoon? With all kinds of twists and turns, Crazy Cob’s Corn Maze is sure to leave you guessing. Choose the right path and you just might make it out! Reward yourself with a warm glass of cider or hot cocoa once you’ve completed the maze.

Night Terrors: Zombies, asylums and chainsaws… oh my! With six haunted attractions to choose from, prepare yourself for one of the most bone-chilling, spine-tingling haunted houses in Michigan. Only the bravest of souls will make it out alive. Wiard’s chilling haunted attractions include the Ultimate Haunted Barn, the Asylum, The Mineshaft, Hayrides of the Lost, SplatterTown – Live Action Haunted Paintball and Alien Caged Clowns. What will you choose? The choice is yours.

And the best part… it’s only a ten-minute drive from campus. Located at 5565 Merrit Road in Ypsilanti, MI, there is no excuse to miss out on the cider mill fun.

So there you have it. Wiard’s Orchard: your one stop shop for everything this fall. Whether you take a trip to the pumpkin patch, stop by the petting farm or stay past sundown for the Night Terrors, this Ann Arbor cider mill is sure to leave you wanting more.

More about Wiard’s Orchard can be found here

Images courtesy of: giphy and tumblr