Why You Should Take a Native American History Course in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Around this time last year, I made the decision to declare a second minor. After completing a few courses in American Culture and Native American Studies, I knew I wanted to expand upon that knowledge.

Being a Native American myself and an enrolled member in my tribe, I have always been interested in learning about my culture, especially because I grew up in “white” society and not on my reservation. Though I made the decision later than expected, I do not regret adding the Native American Studies minor to my college degree.

Minoring in Native American Studies has given me the opportunity to learn about Euro-American colonization and its effects not only on Native Americans, but on African Americans as well. When thinking about early America and European colonial power, manipulated high school history lessons come to mind. I advise you to forget what you learned from K-12 about Native America, because it was most likely inaccurate information that scholars adjusted to fit their own agenda.

By taking Native American Studies classes in college, you are capable of learning so much more than what is offered by the standard American educational system! I can not even begin to describe the terrifyingly inhumane history of America. By taking Native American or American Culture courses, you can understand the true history of America and its interactions with Native Americans.

Did you know many tribes, like the Cree, Choctaw, and Cherokee assimilated into Euro American society by adopting the practice of slavery? No? I bet you didn’t’. That’s just one fact omitted from our history. Did you know that through Euro-American influence both Native people and African Americans were intermarried and then manipulated to turn on each other all so they’d fit Euro-American agendas? No? Now you do! Did you know that the commonly used phrase, “my great grandmother was an Indian princess” is highly inaccurate? Princesses didn’t even exist in Native America before the arrival of Europeans. The term “princess” was established to make Native American women seem more “civil” and “breedable.” This way Euro-American men could strategically intermarry with Natives.

If pursuing a minor in Native American Studies is not a commitment you are ready to make, I encourage you to consider taking just one of the many courses offered. American history is extremely important, especially Native American history. Take advantage of the many brilliant professors in the department; it is a privilege to study under them. People often tell us to “make the most of our college years,” right? Take a Native American history course; it will certainly be worth your time.

Images Courtesy of: University of Michigan LSA

History of Art major with a double minor in Museum Studies and Native American Studies. Looking forward to my senior year at UM and staying involved in all of my organizations.