Why You Should Send Greeting Cards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

I’m lucky to have grown up receiving cards from loved ones and to still be receiving them. Greeting cards can be sent for a special occasion, like for birthdays, or they can be given just because.

They’re a special kind of sentiment. Just the act of receiving a card is heartwarming and should be appreciated. It’s also the words inside that count. Usually cards already include them or if not, the giver will write them in. These words can mean so much – they can inspire, give comfort or assurance, bring happiness, and even make you laugh. This past birthday of mine definitely brought me all of these emotions.

A close friend of mine gave me the birthday card above, and I could not help but laugh! It fits me perfectly. I definitely do enjoy the extra things in life (bath bombs, having my own margarita mixer, expensive coffee… you get it).

My mom sent me this card for my birthday, and I love keeping it standing on my desk. I’m a writer, and I’m definitely forging my own path, so those words mean so much to me.

My younger sister sent me this sweet, adorable card for my birthday, and I was so touched when I saw her message: “Your 21 now so have fun but be safe.” It’s too precious.

There’s also the opportunity to put greeting cards up as decorations, maybe on your desk (like me) or on a fireplace or counter (like my grandparents) or even attaching them to a string and hanging them up on a wall.

And did I mention that some of them have just the cutest decorations? I got this gorgeously creative Halloween card from my godfather’s parents, and it seriously made my day.

I still have cards that I’ve kept from past years, which is so special to look back upon, particularly if the loved one is now gone. 

And if you’re worried about money, you can always make your own cards! Homemade cards are definitely lovely and touching. So whether Thanksgiving is right around the corner or someone you know has a birthday coming up or you just want to let one know how much you truly appreciate them, don’t question whether you should give them a card. Do it. Give the card. It’s so worth it.

Images Courtesy of: Sophia Christos and YouTube

I'm a senior at the University of Michigan majoring in English with a sub-concentration of creative writing and minoring in entrepreneurship. I love to read, write, create, and try new things. I enjoy life's little moments and love spending the day working in a cafe with a nice cup of coffee.
Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!