This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

I spent the first 17 years of my life as a huge MSU fan. Now, I go to the University of Michigan. How did that happen? 

As a child, I freaked out whenever I saw MSU’s mascot, Sparty, at my elementary school for assemblies. My parents have countless photos of me posing with Sparty with a huge grin on my face. Some of my favorite childhood memories include visiting the MSU dairy store during summers with my little brother or going to summer camps led by MSU faculty. It seemed pretty obvious to everyone around me that I was destined to end up at the college where I already held so many fond memories. 

Throughout high school, I always assumed I would be going to MSU. I wore my MSU shirts and sweatshirts all the time and followed MSU football. But this all changed winter of my senior year after I was admitted into he University of Michigan. 

After getting into Umich, I decided to schedule a campus day for February. I had a bad case of “senioritis” and thought it would be a great opportunity to not have to go to school. As I arrived in Ann Arbor and headed to the newly renovated Union with my Dad, I figured I would be intimated the whole day. After all, the University of Michigan is known for its academic rigor and prestige. But the opposite happened. Instead of a Campus Day full of intimidation and unease, I felt a sense of belonging and hope. Unexpectedly, I felt “at home” when walking around campus, and as I talked to current students, I could envision myself as a UMich student. The “work hard, play hard” culture was one I wanted to be a member of and Ann Arbor offered a city feel with a sense of community that I had not experienced at any other college campus. Throughout my day, I felt myself continually longing to be a student studying at the “UgLi” or meeting up with friends at Sweetwaters for coffee. Being in Ann Arbor and at UMich just felt: right. I had toured other campuses at this point and this was the first time I felt this way. By the end of the day, the University of Michigan had found a place in my heart. It was now a matter of whether it would win the battle against MSU for my college decision.

Throughout senior year, as I struggled with my MSU versus UMich decision, the memory of feeling “at home” during campus day continued to pop into my mind. When it came time to officially commit to a college, I knew I could not ignore how “right” being at UMich felt. After months of indecisiveness, I pulled the plug and made my decision. My once green and white heart had officially been captured by UMich’s blue and maize.

Although MSU will forever hold some of my favorite childhood memories, I made the right decision to come to the University of Michigan. The people I have met, the communities I’ve joined, and the memories I have made are all priceless. Walking around Ann Arbor, I know I’m where I was meant to be.

Esha Elahi

U Mich '24

Esha is a senior majoring in Community and Global Public Health at UMich. She enjoys doing CrossFit, baking, reading, and fueling her love for coffee. Esha hopes to incorporate her love for current events and pop culture into her writing, and is looking forward to being a part of Her Campus.