Why Camp Counselors Have The Best Jobs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

I am a 19-year-old mom of 20. All of my kids are the same age and I love them with all of my heart. I teach them to braid, and they teach me the value of patience. Unfortunately, I only get to see them for two months a year. How is this all possible? Well, the answer is simple: I chose to spend my summer wiping the noses of, cleaning up after, and washing the hair of ten year old girls at my summer camp. 

If someone had told me one year ago that a group of ten year old girls would undeniably serve as the most incredible influence in my life, I would have laughed in his or her face. How could such innocent, goofy, inexperienced children possibly make a difference in my life? Well, not only did these children change my perspective on life completely, but the lessons they taught me without a doubt beat anything I could have picked up from spending my summer at a desk internship. 

When a young person says they are returning to their summer camp as a counselor, the common thought response is “oh I guess they’ll get a real job next summer.” And to be honest, I shared in this ignorant thought process myself. But after spending my summer working 136 hours a week with twenty 10 year olds and 7 co-counselors, day in and day out, I’ve learned it is the most commendable and well-rounded job in the whole world. 

As a counselor of soon-to-be-middle-schoolers, I could never show any fear, weakness, or doubt, as they read my emotions and facial expressions like a book. They looked at me to dance and skip happily through camp belting the words to the Annie soundtrack so they would know it was okay. They saw how I reacted to situations to learn what was and was not acceptable; to learn that yelling and getting physical were not the answers. They watched to see how I faced my fears as a future reference for maintaining their own. 

Admittedly, I am still often afraid of the dark. Yet, walking through a pitch-black forest with a youngster clinging to my arm while searching for the bathroom on a camping trip, I gained courage. Guiding her by flashlight, completely unsure of where we were going, I needed to muster up enough courage for the both of us. While she was teary eyed and whiny for fear of the darkness, I suddenly was able to stand calmly, coolly, and collectively to tell her that we were fine and that nothing could possibly go wrong. It was in that moment that I realized something: camp is about more than just “you”; actually, life is. 

In fact, the needs of twenty little girls were far more important than my own. Simple tasks like cleaning up after dinner and tying shoes seemed impossible to these kids. To them, my help was not only desperately sought out, but also truly needed. 

Being a counselor means relinquishing your ability to peacefully nap after lunch, because you never know when a child will be homesick, need a manicure, or lose a tooth (yes, I got to play tooth fairy this summer). It means applying your experiences as a camper to explain why it’s okay to miss home sometimes but to stress the importance of living in the here and now. It means working with a team of seven other “moms” to discuss the length of flashlight time, proper punishments, and appropriate ways to reward excellent behavior. And most importantly, while recognizing that along with the responsibilities of reminding kids to take their medicines, brush their teeth, and get the proper foods for their allergies, it means making sure these children feel at home in a foreign place and make positive memories that last them a lifetime. 

There is simply no better feeling than looking down at the beaming face of a child who finally defeated the dreaded deep-water test, with your help. No better feeling than watching a child who once refused to eat vegetables take a huge bite with a smile on her face, because of your encouragement. No better feeling than hearing a child finally invite the “odd-ball” into the circle, from your advisement.

There is no better position, no better feeling, and no better experience than spending the summer as a camp counselor.