What to Wear on Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Thanksgiving is all about celebrating thanks while indulging in a multiple course meal of turkey, gravy, rosemary mashed potatoes, roasted veggies and an assortment of flavorful pies with your closest friends and family. Most people’s thanksgiving plans last the full day, which means that there is no time to change out of pinchy high heels and suffocating blouses when you feel the food baby emerging. When your old uncle asks if you have chosen a major yet or your aunt chimes in asking about your love life, the last thing you want is to be wearing clothes so tight that you might barf. Make your holiday attire this year all about comfort with these few helpful tips and you’ll be able to answer all those awkward questions from your relatives with ease!

• Heels Are (Not) a Must!

At some point in time, the idea that women of all ages are supposed to wear heels to every holiday event was ingrained in our minds. But guess what? This is a total myth! Wearing flats will not compromise the integrity of your outfit! No one wants to be standing in 4” heels for 45 minutes while listening to your older relatives talk about their experiences in college. But if you still want to add a little height to your look, a great alternative to wearing high heels are ankle boots with a mini heel. Metal embellishments will add detail and an extra sparkle to your outfit. These shoes will definitely be a savior to your feet!

• You don’t need to wear a dress!

If you’re the type of person who loves to wear dresses, by all means go ahead! But if you’re the type of person who hates wearing anything with a draft, pants can be a totally acceptable option if you wear them right! Avoid wearing pants with rips or jeans, unless they are a super dark wash. Since pants are on the casual side for holiday events, make sure to wear a fancier top, extra jewelry or a lipstick shade that dresses up your comfy outfit just a bit.

• Layer Up!

Keeping warm during this time of year is certainly a struggle. Even though Thanksgiving celebrations are traditionally inside, having extra warmth can’t hurt. Oversized cardigans, pullovers and turtlenecks are great additions to your Thanksgiving Day look – they look stylish and will make you feel as if you’re wearing a blanket! They are also great for disguising any unwanted bloating that may result from your huge meal.

• Accessories!

This part of your look is the most fun! Depending on your mood, add a chunky, charcoal knit infinity scarf, or go with some classic silver hoop earrings. Whichever accessories you choose make sure they only add to the cuteness and coziness of your outfit!

Thanksgiving essentials include tasty food, loving friends and relatives and of course, cute and comfy eating outfits! Whether you are celebrating Thanksgiving at a family gathering or having a Friendsgiving this year, it’s important to have a killer, festive outfit for cute Instagram posts or the perfect holiday card photo opt! Hopefully having a comfy look this year will more one more thing that you’re thankful for!

Images courtesy of: Misguided, Jcrew, and Pinterest.

Alexa Di Luca is transfer student at the University of Michigan, studying communications. 
Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!